MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, October 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 43.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Taste of Madison

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Taste of Madison

Postby Shorty » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:53 pm

The music was too loud but I enjoyed the food at Taste of Madison. Expensive but it was fun to walk around and see all the options. Here is how I spent $20.50. How about you?

-Pork taco from Santa Fe cart. $3.50
-Veggie couscous from Marrakesh Restaurant. $4
=Sweet potato pie from HMI Southern Style Catering . $3
-Door county cherry pie al mode from Elegant Foods $4
-Parking in city ramp $5
-Donation to State street musician (she was better than the loud music on the square) $1
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Taste of Madison

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:21 am

[quote="Shorty"]The music was too loud but I enjoyed the food at Taste of Madison. Expensive but it was fun to walk around and see all the options. Here is how I spent $20.50. How about you?
/quote]
Good question.
I am at a place in my life that the expense does not matter so much, although I worry about the potential return.
I do not feel cared for by this event, therefore I do not share my coin. This is too bad, but this is my take.

p.s. - I heard that the music was too loud from some visitors. I am glad I did not have to deal with that.

p.s.-p.s.- there is curmudgeon now oozing from me, time for bed.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:28 am

I went last year and came away with the feeling that it has gone from "taste" to "meals." It used to be you could get small portions for a decent price from several vendors and walk away thinking you now had a better idea of what many food sellers served.

It didn't feel that way last year. I'd shell out twenty or thirty bucks for a dozen samplings or so, but twenty bucks for five doesn't seem like it's worth the effort.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wesconsin » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:34 am

the music was absolutely terrible. at one point we walked past street performers performing next to their restaurants stand (latin something, I don't know) and they were awesome, of course I gave my daughter $ to tip them. I just wish they would have been on the stage instead of the vocal diarrhea being spewed on stage (Charm School Rejects.... I felt embarrassed FOR them). Maybe it was the time I was there (Sunday afternoon) but I couldn't stand it, and I'm pretty open to all types of music (listening and creating).

The food was good. Those dumplings or whatever weren't what they were cracked up to be though. Everything else we tried was good though.
wesconsin

Postby clyde » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:56 am

We tend to go to Taste more for the music than the food, and this year's musical selections were abysmal. The country stage was way too loud and we had to escape to the other side of the square just to get out of range from it. And Charm School Rejects (although a cool band name) was just awful. We hung around for a while, cringing and glancing at each other in uncomfortable silence before giving up and heading to the UW Terrace for some jazz.
clyde

Return to Cooking & Food issues