MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Wisconsin Ironman Triathlon

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Wisconsin Ironman Triathlon

Postby Bludgeon » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:16 pm

What's wrong with the Iron-Man? You get all these yuppies from 300+ miles away it's like, "Let's buy a plane ticket and burn some jet fuel then rent a car and burn some petrol and make 3 times the carbon footprint of what we would make just staying home, so we can hop on a bike and block off traffic (where all those idling cars that take twice as long to reach their destination also burn more gasoline on account of us and our event) - so we can be on our bikes and act all sanctimonious about the environment for two days" lol. Hypocrisy, I say. Plus, also, yuppies.

Boo.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Wisconsin Ironman Triathlon

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:20 pm

We should cancel all events in Madison. Anyone who drives here for an event, concert, play, etc... is a dick. And a yuppie.

Boo.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:31 pm

Finally, Bludgeon has written something I can partly agree with. I don't care if they are yuppies, a term that I thought went out a couple decades ago. I applaud the endurance and training and guts it takes to participate in this event, but, really, a lot of these people seem a little narcissistic. But I feel the same about people that lose themselves in any subculture: the bikers (motorcyclists), the bikers (bicyclists), open carry folks, concealed carry nuts are just as bad, or worse. That's not to even mention the born again crowd, birdwatchers, etc. Anytime you have to have an outfit to show people you are a serious aficionado of whatever hobby you have is the point where you lose me.
Last edited by Donald on Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:35 pm

Foodies.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:42 pm

Fishers and hunters are probably the worst. Still, I suppose there is some utility in these outfits. But it does piss me off when someone thinks they can't hunt without getting the latest outfit from whatever outdoor company is in this year.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:50 pm

Donald wrote:Fishers and hunters are probably the worst. Still, I suppose there is some utility in these outfits. But it does piss me off when someone thinks they can't hunt without getting the latest outfit from whatever outdoor company is in this year.
That's a little surprising to hear, though it's been many years since I hunted. Way back then, if it wasn't a hand-me-down, it was important that hunting clothes not be ostentatious and that they were sufficiently practical to warrant future hand-me-down status. Hunting was an honored pastime, but not one that allowed more than incidental spending. This was central.

Among my cohort, wearing recently-purchased clothes (or even unambiguously recently-made clothes) was fuel for (jocular) ridicule. There was a hand-me-down tradition, from elder to younger, that limited fashion choices to such matters as which buttons to fasten, the height and drape of the waistline, etc. (I suppose we could add tattoed sclera, these days. It wasn't much in fashion then.)

As for those bikers who follow the "competition" fashion tradition: Y'all look like a bunch of cheap fishing lures being dragged through blue-green human-made lake water. You are the visual equivalent of an epilectic seizure.

Cargo will make you honest.
Last edited by fennel on Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:50 pm

At least hunters aren't self-important douchebags like a lot of the triathletes are.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:53 pm

Donald wrote:Fishers and hunters are probably the worst. Still, I suppose there is some utility in these outfits. But it does piss me off when someone thinks they can't hunt without getting the latest outfit from whatever outdoor company is in this year.

Having grown up in small town Wisconsin, I can't say that I've ever met a hunter who fits that description. Most hunters, the non-yuppie types to borrow Bludgeon's terminology, could give a shit about fashion, be it their duds or suds. They take pride in their kill, but also in their ability to dress (the deer). Oh yeah, sometimes they'll get some hot venison sticks made by a butcher, but mostly they want to show off their ability to survive off the grid.

I went fishing on Lake Michigan this summer and really enjoyed a meal of nothing but garden vegetables that we grew and a rainbow trout that I caught. Of course, being a fucking yuppie we rented a charter. But it was almost like surviving off the grid. For that one meal.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:05 pm

As to the OP, I have a lot of admiration for triathletes. When I was younger I was a pretty good athlete. My senior year in high school I ran a 4:29 mile and went to state in both track and cross country. Now that I'm old and fat I kind of regret not maintaining that athleticism. 140 miles? Really? Just completing a marathon is a hell of an accomplishment for most people, but adding in a long swim and over 100 mile bike ride on the same day you finish your marathon?

They can be as sanctimonious as they want. I could never do what they do, even back when I was a top-notch athlete. Even a 10k run, which is something I'm familiar with, is more mental than physical. 140 miles takes a lot of perseverance. You need to literally overpower your mind's insistence on quitting. And there isn't a single human being on earth, not even the winners of this weekend's race, who don't battle that temptation.

Hat's off, Ironmen. And women.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:20 pm

Bludgeon wrote:What's wrong with the Iron-Man? You get all these yuppies from 300+ miles away it's like, "Let's buy a plane ticket and burn some jet fuel then rent a car and burn some petrol and make 3 times the carbon footprint of what we would make just staying home, so we can hop on a bike and block off traffic (where all those idling cars that take twice as long to reach their destination also burn more gasoline on account of us and our event) - so we can be on our bikes and act all sanctimonious about the environment for two days" lol. Hypocrisy, I say. Plus, also, yuppies.

Boo.

Those who can, do.

Those who can't, write bitter anonymous chatroom posts unsuccessfully trying to assert their moral superiority over those who can.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:02 pm

What could be more American than taking something healthy and doing it for long enough that it is no longer healthy? Competitive eating, I suppose.

It would probably be a more exciting event if they ran it backwards though.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:08 am

Donald wrote:I don't care if they are yuppies, a term that I thought went out a couple decades ago.

The word "poser" went out of fashion about... 14 years ago? It's a shame because nobody seems to know what a poser is anymore, even when they're surrounded on their bikes by them or when their MP3 catalogue is rife with posers with record deals.

I like to hang on to a poignant term, if I can ; )

For the record though, I do like a nice bike ride. I used to, couple few years ago, love smoking a /not-cigarette and dipping out the door around midnight on these fantastic trails we have in (and out) of town and go cruising til 4:30 AM - bliss on wheels, ah. I hate that they are over-emphasizing the bike lanes on the road, instead of taking their bike-path system to the next level.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:49 am

Donald wrote: But I feel the same about people that lose themselves in any subculture: ... Anytime you have to have an outfit to show people you are a serious aficionado of whatever hobby you have is the point where you lose me.

So how do you feel about Muslims, Donald?
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:48 am

Igor wrote:It would probably be a more exciting event if they ran it backwards though.

It would be even more exciting if swimming was the last event.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:29 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
Igor wrote:It would probably be a more exciting event if they ran it backwards though.

It would be even more exciting if swimming was the last event.

I believe we just said the same thing there...
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government