MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 6.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Your Super Power

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Your Super Power

Postby john_titor » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:57 pm

1. I can wake up at the time of my choosing without an alarm clock. The duration makes no difference. I can do this even when I start in one timezone and finish in another.

2. I never win anything. To the point I think I should look at being a professional cooler. If it is free bobble-head day, they run out. Candy tossed from floats bounces away. I once popped a balloon for a prize. A lot of people got like "free drink" or "free dinner for two". I got "Free James Brown!"
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Your Super Power

Postby snoqueen » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:23 pm

I can do the waking-up thing too. I have never at any time in my life used an alarm clock.

I can remember colors exactly and pick out a matching shade of paint without bringing along a sample. Like perfect pitch, but perfect color memory.

I can also walk through a building once and later draw a halfway-decent, reasonably-to-scale plan view of all the parts I was in.

Super-un-power: I cannot remember faces at all, to the point it's a disability, and I can't recognize voices on the phone even when it's people I know very well.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:32 pm

Parallel parking. I'm very good at it. Also Galaga.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:04 pm

I have Sno's spatial memory power, which has come in handy many many times, since part of my job involves ethnography.

I also have the enviable ability to partially remember the first lines of thousands of songs. Some people might characterize that as the inability to remember the lyrics to any song I've ever heard, but I prefer to accentuate the positive.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:09 pm

I'm no good at sleeping or waking on cue but I have a very accurate internal clock in that I pretty much always know what time it is. As a corollary, I am also unerringly punctual, often to the exasperation of others. (If you don't want me to come to your party until 10:30, don't invite me for 10:00.)
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ttusker » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:52 pm

I've got the same type of internal atomic clock as Prof. Wagstaff. And I'm really good at telling, after hearing the first second or so, a pop song's title, artist and the month and year it was popular on the radio. Not a super-helpful super-power, but it amuses friends.
Ttusker

Postby grumpybear » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:00 pm

I'm a good listener.
A caveat, my bullshit detector is dialed to 11.
grumpybear

Postby snoqueen » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:14 pm

I'm really good at telling, after hearing the first second or so, a pop song's title, artist and the month and year it was popular on the radio.

This reminds me of a long-ago friend who, given a date, could tell you what he ATE that day. Not necessarily any date at all, but a date like Christmas 1973 or the day we went to see a certain movie was good enough.

I never heard of anybody else doing that -- can you guys keep track of what you ate? I can't even tell you what I ate this morning.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ttusker » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:32 pm

Yes, I can remember what I ate for supper going back a month or more, I just have to think about it for a minute. I have a very, very good memory for a lot of things. It allows me to perform a lot of what used to be called parlor tricks.
Ttusker

Postby other i » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:33 pm

I am the Seventh Son. As such, I am not required to go into detail.
other i
Forum Addict

Postby Igor » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:34 pm

Height.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:59 am

I will always wake up just before my alarm goes off, and if I set a timer for something, I will always find that I check it just before it's about to ring.

I also can estimate volumes and measurements extremely accurately, such as knowing exactly which of many sizes and shapes of containers will contain a random amount of something perfectly, without under or over filling. I can pull of exactly the length of tape to fit a given need with no overage or underage.

I can begin singing a song instantly using the words of almost any conversation. I mean a recorded song that is known, not making one up.

Also a great parallel parker.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:07 am

Internal clock.
Driving.
Parallel parking.
Pogonotrophy.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:43 am

If I'm somewhere noisy and there is piped-in music, I can hear it and identify the song even if no one else realizes music is playing.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:46 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:If I'm somewhere noisy and there is piped-in music, I can hear it and identify the song even if no one else realizes music is playing.

I have that one two, though I keep expecting it to diminish with age.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All