MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

MMSD, I hope you are paying attention...

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

MMSD, I hope you are paying attention...

Postby Mad Howler » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:08 am

http://www.salon.com/2013/09/21/thats_n ... erted_boy/
"Of the two hundred autism assessment programs his team surveyed across the country, many of which were located in prestigious medical centers, only 10 percent emphasized the need to observe a child along with a parent or guardian for more than ten minutes as they spontaneously interacted together. He tended to observe children playing with a parent for forty-five minutes or more, waiting for choice points to engage a child to determine if he or she was capable of more sustained eye contact, elaborate verbalizations, or shared emotional reactions. Dr. Greenspan believed that these conditions of safety and sensitive interaction were essential in order to obtain an accurate reading of a child’s true verbal and social skills."

The real opportunity costs outweigh your tools at hand.
Perhaps I am unfair,
Are things changing for better?

When we mistake a brainy, introverted boy for an autism spectrum disordered one, we devalue his mental gifts. We view his ability to become wholeheartedly engrossed in a topic as a symptom that needs to be stamped out, rather than a form of intellectualism that needs to be cultivated. Boys like William don’t need to be channeled into unwanted and unnecessary social-skills classes to obtain formal instruction on how to start and sustain normal conversations. They don’t need to be prodded to be more sociable with the neighborhood kid whose mind works completely differently from theirs. They need unique school programs that cater to the mentally gifted in which others will not be chagrined by their intense love for ideas and where they have a shot at making true friends and therefore have the opportunity to feel truly sociable.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Re: MMSD, I hope you are paying attention...

Postby Steve Vokers » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:12 am

Not sure what your point is, because school districts don't do diagnoses. They have to plan to provide services if a kid has a diagnosis, but the school district themselves aren't in the business of providing it.
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:05 am

While MH is often slightly difficult to decipher, this seems to be pretty clearly a comment on the over diagnosis of Autism (to the detriment of the child) and not on school districts. School districts are in fact only mentioned in how they treat the diagnosed child. While the only groups I see mentioned in terms of actually diagnosing autism is are
the two hundred autism assessment programs his team surveyed across the country, many of which were located in prestigious medical centers
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:04 am

Mad Howler wrote:http://www.salon.com/2013/09/21/thats_not_autism_its_simply_a_brainy_introverted_boy/
"Of the two hundred autism assessment programs his team surveyed across the country, many of which were located in prestigious medical centers, only 10 percent emphasized the need to observe a child along with a parent or guardian for more than ten minutes as they spontaneously interacted together. He tended to observe children playing with a parent for forty-five minutes or more, waiting for choice points to engage a child to determine if he or she was capable of more sustained eye contact, elaborate verbalizations, or shared emotional reactions. Dr. Greenspan believed that these conditions of safety and sensitive interaction were essential in order to obtain an accurate reading of a child’s true verbal and social skills."

The real opportunity costs outweigh your tools at hand.
Perhaps I am unfair,
Are things changing for better?

When we mistake a brainy, introverted boy for an autism spectrum disordered one, we devalue his mental gifts. We view his ability to become wholeheartedly engrossed in a topic as a symptom that needs to be stamped out, rather than a form of intellectualism that needs to be cultivated. Boys like William don’t need to be channeled into unwanted and unnecessary social-skills classes to obtain formal instruction on how to start and sustain normal conversations. They don’t need to be prodded to be more sociable with the neighborhood kid whose mind works completely differently from theirs. They need unique school programs that cater to the mentally gifted in which others will not be chagrined by their intense love for ideas and where they have a shot at making true friends and therefore have the opportunity to feel truly sociable.

I suggest you donate to the Friends of the Waisman Center. They are also having a 40th anniversary fund raising dinner.

The Waisman Center is a leading advocate for autism issues. Right now the wait to be diagnosed is over 9 months. One of the goals of the Friends is to raise enough money to hire more staff to get the waiting time down to less than 1 month in the next fiscal year.

There is a lot of promising research that early diagnosis and treatment can lessen symptoms.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:28 am

And if you suspect something is amiss with your 18 month or older child, you can ask your pediatrician for a referral to a speech and language clinician. Waisman is a great place, but certainly not the only place in town that handles autism diagnosis and treatment. Everyone else hit the nail on the head- the MMSD rarely makes a diagnosis for autism, although to be fair, there are kids who never get checked out until they show up in the public schools. MMSD does provide speech language physical and occupational therapy for autistic students.

Is there over-diagnosis? You can argue that either way, since autism is a spectrum disorder and the spectrum is VERY broad.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:43 pm

Pointless thread is pointless.

Anecdote is not data. Are there kids who get a diagnosis in error? Probably. But I bet there are way more kids who are on the spectrum that never get a diagnosis, and therefore don't get services that could help them.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe