MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
breese stevens field
Tuesday, September 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Wisconsin v. OSU

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Wisconsin v. OSU

Postby Cameron Connors » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:27 am

The current spread is -7 to -7.5 for OSU this Saturday.

I want to believe, but I would take OSU to beat the spread if I absolutely had to make a bet.

Prove me wrong, Melvin. Prove me wrong.
Cameron Connors

Re: Wisconsin v. OSU

Postby O.J. » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:36 am

Utah State went 11-1-1 against the spread last year, with the only loss being in a game they didn't cover by 1 point. Wisconsin is 4-0 this year; quite the Vegas run that Andersen has going. Wisconsin also hasn't lost a game by more than a touchdown since Oct 2010(lost 34-24 @ MSU). Wisconsin always seems to play well against an Ohio State University. All of this still doesn't give me tons of confidence heading into the Shoe -- Stave needs to play a LOT better to beat O$U.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:45 pm

O.J. wrote:an Ohio State University

nice
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:03 pm

I think Bucky is gonna get smoked.

Stave played a couple strong games last year. It's possible he will find that groove again. Not likely, the passing game has been woeful.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:46 am

Still no word on whether Pedersen will be suited up, and his presence could make a huge difference in this game. Stave doesn't need to transform into a pro-quarterback overnight, but he needs to release the ball faster because the OSU defense will not allow him to sit in a pocket and will outrun him if he scrambles into the flat. An effective, short-yardage passing game should be enough to keep OSU's linebackers honest and open up a few lanes for Gordon and White. If Pedersen doesn't play, I'd look for a two back set with White swinging out as a primary receiver.

The OSU offense has not faced a decent defense yet this year, so I guess the national sports writers are going to get their first real look on Saturday. If Bucky can hold OSU's quarterback(s) in check and keep the game tight, a fourth quarter running game could lift the Badgers to an unlikely win.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:57 am

Badgers win by 3 with a field goal late in the 4th quarter. Redemption.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:06 am

pjbogart wrote: An effective, short-yardage passing game should be enough to keep OSU's linebackers honest and open up a few lanes for Gordon and White.

Badgers will have to stretch the field to loosen linebackers, short passes won't scare anybody. Badgers have to take some risks. Their wunderbacks are not going to get 8 yard gains every time they touch the ball.

Stave was able to play very well in streaks last year.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:44 am

I expect a tight, well-played game that the Badgers will find a way to lose, probably in heartbreaking fashion.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cameron Connors » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:21 pm

Lot of ESPN coverage of the biggest game of the Andersen era (so far), it's the Big10 Game of the Week (Miami (OH) v Illinois must have just missed the cut): http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9720207

Corey Clement in the frosh standouts:
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9720089

Melvin's "excited"...yay!!!:
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9718904

B/R's preview:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1785 ... me-preview
Cameron Connors

Postby Detritus » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:43 pm

I predict that the Badgers will take an early lead in the first quarter, spend the next two quarters fruitlessly running the ball up the middle, then lose by a handful of points after a series of humiliating turnovers in the last quarter.

But then, I'm an optimist.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:55 pm

I don't know who Ohio State's third string QB is, but chances are he or she is better than every QB on Wisconsin's roster.

When you have two teams with stout defensive fronts, the outcome is mostly determined by the passing and play-making ability of the QBs.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:06 am

I was listening to the "In the Trenches" radio show that focuses on the Badgers. Those guys seem to think that the Ohio State defensive front is good but beatable. That's very encouraging.

Tarek Saleh thinks that the Badgers can win if Stave plays smart, doesn't throw any picks. I think Saleh is wrong, Stave has to play loose and aggressive. His prob this season is that he has played tight, aiming his passes.

It's Ohio State that has everything to lose. I have a dream that Stave is going to rise to the occasion and have fun, I'm changing my pick. Badger upset.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:54 am

Hope you're right Huck. But I predict the Buckeyes will win when we miss a game-winning or tying field goal.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:12 pm

This could go anywhere - compared to last year, our likely better in-game coaching is more than counteracted by a less-experienced O Line and home field advantage, I am afraid...

OSU Blowout - 15%
OSU Barely wins - 60%
Wis Barely wins - 20%
Wis Blowout - 5%
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:22 pm

I wish the Badgers were underdogs every week. It's much more fun to have a chance to achieve something.

Badgers have a very good team.

Enjoy Melvin Gordon, because he's going pro next year. Like Russell Wilson & JJ Watt, blink and you miss um.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking