MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
pax
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Thunderstorm Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Who is Ted Cruz?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Who is Ted Cruz?

Postby pjbogart » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:43 pm

Now that Ted Cruz finds himself in the company of few friends and a bipartisan cabal of critics, stories are piling up about him that seem more like character assassinations than reasonable criticisms. Who is this man? Is he a brave patriot who refuses to back down? He preaches smaller government, local control, less regulation. Those aren't unusual demands. Many before him have taken this path.

Even some of his critics provide him with excellent recommendations. He's intelligent, educated, a strong debater. He's principled, focused and charismatic to some, awkward and villainous to others.

His father is a megachurch televangelist. A charlatan or prophet, depending upon your perspective. He anointed his son a king among men, destined for greatness and power. A soldier of God, sent to "bring the spoils of war to the priests."

Who is this man? Does he come to cast the yoke of fundamentalist Christianity upon America? In order to rise from the ashes, one must first reduce America to ashes, correct? Patriot? Demagogue? Prophet? Charlatan? Savior? Villain? Or perhaps just another run- of-the-mill megalomaniac infecting our political discourse, no more prominent or dangerous than Sarah Palin. Is he a blip on the radar or someone who will someday get an entire chapter in the history books?

I'm curious, really. He's either a flavor-of-the-month, a conservative icon or a dangerous demagogue.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Who is Ted Cruz?

Postby Average Joe » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:04 pm

He will never be elected President, but he will provide an interesting, and I'm assuming amusing dilemma for TEA-Birthers when the fact that Teddy is a foreign born Canadian of a Cuban father, and the reality that Teddy doesn't have an American issued birth certificate keeps slapping them in the face. I can hardly wait for the cognitive dissonance tap dance to commence.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:11 pm

He could also be the reincarnation of Joe McCarthy. I wasn't the person who made that up.

I think he's another wingnut hotshot who makes a splash and then gets hired by some think tank. Or another Newt Gingrich, who never quite seems to go away but has mellowed. I'm not seeing a lot of staying power here unless he gets a gig with Fox. If he does, he could hang around forever and be the heir to the Rush Limbaugh empire. Lord knows he likes to talk.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:51 am

In terms of seeming to love attention, he strikes me as the US Senate's version of Brett Hulsey.

Sorry, Brett.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:08 pm

Who is Ted Cruz?
It seems to me that he is a man born in a fossil fuel rich area of Canada, who now is a US Senator representing the State of Texas.
It also occurs to me that he is a man less concerned with governance than his political future.
This motivation is understandable, but I do not see goodness in his dive to dollar.
This is getting boring.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:20 am

I thought this article colored in much of the Ted Cruz picture for me. Especially when it got to the part where he is the same now as he was as a freshman at Princeton.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:43 pm

Sybrina Fulton went to Washington, DC because she doesn't like Stand Your Ground laws. It might have something to do with the murder of her son, Trayvon.

Ted Cruz, who is obviously a soul-less cretin lacking an iota of empathy, decided this would be a good time to mansplain the benefits of SYG laws to the grieving mother:
"With whom do we stand?" Cruz asked. "I for one believe we should stand for the innocent against aggressors."

Even if you think that Zimmerman is the 'innocent' and Martin is the 'aggressor', its really a horrible thing to her face.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Return to National Politics & Government