MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

California high speed rail

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

California high speed rail

Postby Beaver » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:34 am

Update on the California high speed rail.

http://news.yahoo.com/begins-calif-bull ... 56521.html

"Five years ago, California voters overwhelmingly approved the idea of bringing a bullet train to themost populous U.S. state. It would be America's first high-speed rail system, sold to the public as a way to improve access to good-paying jobs, cut pollution from smog-filled roadways and reduce time wasted sitting in traffic while providing an alternative to high fuel prices. Now, engineering work has finally begun on the first 30-mile (48-kilometer) segment of track here in Fresno, a city of a half-million people with soaring unemployment and a withering downtown core littered with abandoned factories and shuttered stores...
Voters in 2008 approved $10 billion in bonds to start construction on an 800-mile (1,300-kilometer) rail line to ferry passengers between San Francisco and Los Angeles in 2 hours and 40 minutes, compared with 6 hours by car now during good traffic. Since then, the housing market collapsed, multibillion-dollar budget deficits followed, and the price tag has fluctuated wildly — from $45 billion in 2008 to more than $100 billion in 2011 and, now, $68 billion. Political and financial compromises led officials to scale back plans that now mean trains will be forced to slow down and share tracks in major cities, leading critics to question whether it will truly be the 220-mph (355-kph) "high-speed rail" voters were promised...
The Obama administration promised $3.2 billion for the first phase as part of the federal stimulus package, but that is just a fraction of the money needed to complete the system, leaving many of the valley's 6.5 million residents to suspect California taxpayers will be on the hook for the rest. The state's independent analyst calls current funding plans "highly speculative." Republicans in Congress have furiously fought to block any more federal funding as Republican governors in Ohio, Wisconsin and Florida have backed out of plans for high-speed rail in those states."
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: California high speed rail

Postby snoqueen » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:00 am

I would be fine with regular-speed rail,and I think a lot of other people feel the same. Anything so we get out of this more-cars/more highways monoculture.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:42 pm

"California Poverty Rate Highest In Nation Based On New Census Department Figures"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/14/california-poverty_n_2132920.html

Going to Hell in a Hi-speed Handbasket.
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:58 pm

Rich Schultz wrote:"California Poverty Rate Highest In Nation Based On New Census Department Figures"

"California wine region finds new fame with giant pumpkins"
http://www.euronews.com/nocomment/2013/10/16/california-wine-region-finds-new-fame-with-giant-pumpkins/

Looks like those gourd-damned Californians are wine-ing about pump-thing again!

Am I doing this replying-with-an-irrelevant-link thing right?
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:25 pm

Holy shit! California is so poor that sea serpents are dying from starvation!
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:39 pm

Rich Schultz wrote:Going to Hell in a Hi-speed Handbasket.

green union terrace chair wrote:Looks like those gourd-damned Californians are wine-ing about pump-thing again!

ilikebeans wrote:Holy shit! California is so poor that sea serpents are dying from starvation!

Thanks. After a daily trip to the hospital you all just made my day better. :lol:
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:20 pm

Rich Schultz wrote:"California Poverty Rate Highest In Nation Based On New Census Department Figures"

You can deliver a lotta meals on wheels with one of those got-damned supertrains!
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby npler » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:19 pm

What is the fastest train that is in production right now? On this forum for years and elsewhere I have heard of a proposal for a Madison-Eau Claire rail link forming the backbone of a regional network which cuts that trip to 20 minutes, which I believe would be something like 450 to 600 MPH -- have they invented that yet?

What are the accidents like for the fastest ones now in operation? Cataclysmic? 100% avoidable?

I am assuming that the alleged 2,400-MPH underground bullet train from Area 51 to Offutt Air Force Base or wherever is not replicable for public use any time soon. The Area 51 buffs who told me about this are of a faction I did not know existed: they pooh-pooh the alien hypothesis, one saying, and I quote: "Aliens? Ha! That would be like hypnotizing chickens!" Which I did see done at the Iowa State Fair once. The mystery deepens.
npler
Forum Addict

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:07 pm

What I remember reading someplace that I can't remember is that the Japanese high speed trains need a lot of very expensive track maintenance. There's like a square law of diminishing returns and mixed metaphors that means the more you push the train speed up the more they eat the up rails.

If you want to go that goddamn fast just fly through the air, man. Wilbur Wright didn't live in vain.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:26 pm

npler wrote:What is the fastest train that is in production right now? On this forum for years and elsewhere I have heard of a proposal for a Madison-Eau Claire rail link forming the backbone of a regional network which cuts that trip to 20 minutes, which I believe would be something like 450 to 600 MPH -- have they invented that yet?

What are the accidents like for the fastest ones now in operation? Cataclysmic? 100% avoidable?

I am assuming that the alleged 2,400-MPH underground bullet train from Area 51 to Offutt Air Force Base or wherever is not replicable for public use any time soon. The Area 51 buffs who told me about this are of a faction I did not know existed: they pooh-pooh the alien hypothesis, one saying, and I quote: "Aliens? Ha! That would be like hypnotizing chickens!" Which I did see done at the Iowa State Fair once. The mystery deepens.

You got a whole lot of things mixed together there. There are many tiers of rail service that provide various pros and cons at different price points.

Use existing track: cheapest, but also slowest. There are portions of the Madison - Milwaukee line where freight trains slow to 10mph because the track is so bad.

Upgrade existing track: costs more, good speed. Can share with freight trains that also benefit from the upgrades.

Brand new tracks: costs a lot, fast speed, might not be able to take freight trains.

Maglev: Only likely appearance on this continent is at Disneyworld.

New lines can be elevated, which eliminates traffic congestion and conflicts with roads, but costs an enormous sum.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Return to National Politics & Government