MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, July 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

what next for healthcare?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

what next for healthcare?

Postby snoqueen » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:34 am

Realistically, what do you think should/will happen next with the ACA?

-- they'll keep pushing deadlines back until the web site is working;

-- they'll come up with alternate registration methods;

-- they'll fix the web site in the next three weeks and the crisis will pass;

-- they'll throw the whole thing out and extend Medicare to everyone who wants it;

-- the Republicans will prevail and we'll go back to no plan at all and be a better country because of it;

-- or what?

I picked some crazy choices there because I can't think of a lot of good ones. What do you think?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: what next for healthcare?

Postby wack wack » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:39 am

I'll take option 1: keep pushing until it works.

I think the continued noise form the right will have no bearing on the program; once again they're talking at each other while the adults work.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:47 am

One. They'll have to push back deadlines for a while. Based on the information i've read on the problems with the site, it's a lot more than a simple patch involved; possibly a complete re-design of how it accesses data from the various databases. No way that happens in 3 weeks.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:51 am

I'll say one. It's definitely gotten better, but it still needs some work. Carney came out the other day and hinted at an out for the individual mandate. He said that you won't be penalized if you are unable to acquire insurance. Basically saying if you aren't able to sign up for the ACA because of website problems, you won't have to pay a penalty.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:43 pm

Well they're already doing two, and three as well, though I doubt everything will be fixed in three weeks. I'm thinking some parts might adequate in three weeks (apparently some parts work o.k. now) and combined with the phone sign-up it may function well enough to keep the current deadlines intact. If not I would expect the deadlines and/or penalties to be pushed back, sometime after, say, Jan 1.

Of course, I would prefer four but that ain't gonna happen for a while yet.

I'm wondering if the Feds are going to ditch their system at some point in favor of a state system that works. I heard this morning on NPR that a third of the 500,000 successful enrollees signed up through the New York online marketplace. It sounds like someone's got it figured out.
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:06 pm

When is Chancellor Obo going to report some numbers????
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:14 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:When is Chancellor Obo going to report some numbers????

When is your side of the political divide coming to come up with a viable alternative to Obamacare? Let's see the House pass such a measure.

Otherwise, you've got nothing.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:14 pm

They'll muddle through. The deadline relevant to the individual mandate is April fool's day. They will surely have a working Fed website by then.

People who need insurance for January will find some way to enroll.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:25 pm

Zoti Bemba wrote:I'm wondering if the Feds are going to ditch their system at some point in favor of a state system that works.

I imagine that there will be two or three best-case state systems that will be easily propagated to the other 36 states as they wise-up.

I think one factor that is lost is that the Feds built a lot of the software systems that the successful state exchanges are using or accessing. The Federal contractors have done a lot of work very well. And the state exchanges used some of the same contractors as the Feds:
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/ ... ontractors

I think the Fed site will be fine in 6 months.

Some have criticized the Federal site for using old software technology. I disagree with that criticism - "old" or "stable" is in the eye of the beholder.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Huckleby wrote:
Zoti Bemba wrote:I'm wondering if the Feds are going to ditch their system at some point in favor of a state system that works.

I imagine that there will be two or three best-case state systems that will be easily propagated to the other 36 states as they wise-up.

You are naive to think those GOP controlled states will "wise-up." They didn't set up their own exchanges for the sole purpose of sabotaging Obamacare.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:31 pm

snoqueen wrote:-- they'll throw the whole thing out and extend Medicare to everyone who wants it;

-- the Republicans will prevail and we'll go back to no plan at all and be a better country because of it;

I don't see a political path to medicare-for-all in the wake of a grand Obamacare failure. If Obamacare implodes, it is more likely that Republicans will get a chance to try their ideas.

Republicans have an approach to health care that emphasizes free markets and personal responsibility. I don't really see how they can implement their ideas in a way that really changes much.

I am 100% confident that Obamacare will be a great success,
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:36 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
You are naive to think those GOP controlled states will "wise-up." They didn't set up their own exchanges for the sole purpose of sabotaging Obamacare.

You have to look-ahead a year or two. When the exchanges are a working, established fact, the Republicans have a choice of using a Federal exchange, or taking credit for a state exchange where they have somewhat more control. Easy call.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:11 pm

Huckleby wrote:Republicans have an approach to health care that emphasizes free markets and personal responsibility.

Hilarious. Simply hilarious.

Since they disowned RomneyCare in a temper tantrum, Republicans don't have any serious approach to health care at all. There are a bunch of vague, inchoate sound bites revolving around tax deductions, medical savings accounts, etc.

But even if the GOP were to regain the presidency in 2016 and kill off Obamacare, they don't have a viable plan. It's even less realistic than the 2005 talk about privatizing social security, and that went nowhere at all.

The GOP is only capable of attacking Democrats on health care reform; it's systemically incapable of advancing any alternative.

Look at the GOP clown show in the House during the government shutdown. Now try to imagine that gang of shrieking toddlers trying to agree on health care reform. They can't even agree on how to tie their own shoes!
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:31 pm

kurt_w wrote:The GOP is only capable of attacking Democrats on health care reform; it's systemically incapable of advancing any alternative.

Says Kurt in a post that is mostly an attack on Republicans.

Neither the Ds or Rs have shown a good healthcare plan.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:36 pm

Sandi wrote:Neither the Ds or Rs have shown a good healthcare plan.

So be constructive and give us your idea of a good plan.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government