MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, February 1, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 15.0° F  Light Snow Fog/Mist and Breezy
Collapse Photo Bar

Recent Isthmus cover stories

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Recent Isthmus cover stories

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:19 pm

Last week it was local doomsday preppers. This week, local ghost hunters. What reality show is next ( from a local perspective, of course).
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Recent Isthmus cover stories

Postby talagaster » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Personally, I think the story on ghost hunters is the greatest piece of journalism I've read this year.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:19 pm

I appreciated the bedbug story since I went through that a couple years ago.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:32 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I appreciated the bedbug story since I went through that a couple years ago.
Bwis, do you know (or have a stunning hunch) of whence the infestation came?

I have a friend in Chicago whose place was inoculated by neighbors who were over-eager collectors of "vintage" upholstered furniture. What's worse is that they soon realized their folly but kept mum.

They did fess up, eventually, and soon after moved out.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:53 pm

Fennel, I talked to Wil-Kil about how I could have gotten bedbug infestation. He frowned when I mentioned that I took a loveseat from a neighbor of mine. (The neighbor said she had no bugs.) I was skeptical because I got the loveseat in April and I got the first bite in late June. Bedbugs can hitch a ride from bus seats, backpacks, theater seats and many more. It is not a cleanliness issue. They do love clutter. My suspicion is that they came from the hoarders living above me. I learned a lot from the Wil-Kil guy and did lots of searching on Google.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:00 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Last week it was local doomsday preppers. This week, local ghost hunters. What reality show is next ( from a local perspective, of course).

I'd love to see Jon Taffer come yell at Isthmus staff or maybe VPO could try an undercover boss.

I was perplexed over the center-fold cartoon cover story this Summer, but then I feel bad about complaining something that cost me no money.

I find it even more interesting when critics don't take to kindly to critiques of their own work. I am guilty of this too. Sometimes. Mostly.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby talagaster » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:37 am

john_titor wrote:I was perplexed over the center-fold cartoon cover story this Summer, but then I feel bad about complaining something that cost me no money.

I think Isthmus is lucky to have Jon Lyons and Alan Talaga, winners of the Milwaukee Press Club's 2012 Excellence in Journalism Award for best cartoon, as contributors.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:40 am

You don't have a personal connection there by any chance, do you?

I enjoy the cartoon feature and I liked the centerfold issue. The artists have found a consistent viewpoint that is slightly on the underdog side, not overtly doctrinaire but sharply aware, and unpredictable enough to stay interesting.

It's not easy for a small local paper to snag a reliably good locally-focused cartoonist, as we can tell just by looking at what else is out there.

And that is as close as I'll go to any kind of unsolicited critique of the rest of the lot.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com