MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 58.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Phone call solicitations for charity

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Phone call solicitations for charity

Postby Beaver » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:58 pm

I'm so tired of the police and fire dept calling me to ask for donations. Likewise, I'm tired of phone calls asking me to help end breast cancer, alzheimer's, lukemia, child hood cancers, etc.

Of course I want to see police and fire paid well. Of course I want to help end terrible disease. But I don't want calls at home while I'm relaxing, begging me for help. If I gave money to all those who called I would soon by living in poverty. Why can't we stop these calls just like other telemarketing calls? There should be a no call list for them.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Phone call solicitations for charity

Postby snoqueen » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:10 pm

You actually still answer your phone?

I believe those phone charities are mostly scams. At best they donate a tiny amount of the take and keep the rest as "administrative expense." Give to real, legitimate, known charities and forget the rest.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:16 pm

I never answer the phone anymore unless it's a number I recognize. These police, fire, etc. "charities" are just scams. Never will donate to them. Another one that's bothersome is WISPIRG. WISPIRG, for Christ sake, used to be a pretty decent organization. Now they'r ejust another scam. I used to donate to them, but not anymore.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:08 am

I often wonder how we ever got by without caller ID. A couple of years ago I got an old retro dial phone for my desk. I love the way they look and the weight and feel of the receiver. But it didn't offer a caller ID screen of course, and every time the phone rang I would sprint to the kitchen to see who it was. How fucking ridiculous is that? I got rid of it.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:50 pm

My home phone is nothing more than a direct line for telemarketers these days.

I don't know why we keep it, but she insists.

Shitty 6M DSL & a basic landline with just caller ID/Waiting (no LD) from AT&T.

$80/mo. :oops:
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:54 pm

I don't have caller id so have to answer my phone. I'm on the no-call list for telemarketers but charities are exempt.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:10 pm

Beaver wrote:I don't have caller id so have to answer my phone. I'm on the no-call list for telemarketers but charities are exempt.

I'd say about three quarters of the calls I get on my home land line are telemarketers. Since I'm on the no-call list, just about all of the calls are from "charities." Really, they are mostly companies with sweat shop call centers making calls for bogus "charities." I get about 6 calls per night, and when I'm home at the noon hour, I'll have two or three calls then. I'm about to the point where I want to dump the land line.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:37 pm

I ported my landline number to a cheapo no-contract cell, ditched the land line, and let that cell pick up the fake charity calls. Costs me something like $9.99/mo. I also use this for business calls, setting appointments and the like. That's phone #1. I never answer it in person, and never carry it around (though perversely its reception is more reliable than phone #2).

Phone #2, whose number is only known to friends and family, is my "real" phone where I talk with real people.

If phone #2 starts getting polluted with crap calls, I'll terminate phone number #1, turn phone #2 into my crap interceptor, and start a new phone #3 for those select few I actually want to talk with.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:47 am

Ditched the landline years ago. I have never once gotten a phone solicitation through my cell. With good enough service, why have both?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:36 pm

snoqueen wrote:I ported my landline number to a cheapo no-contract cell, ditched the land line, and let that cell pick up the fake charity calls. Costs me something like $9.99/mo. I also use this for business calls, setting appointments and the like. That's phone #1. I never answer it in person, and never carry it around (though perversely its reception is more reliable than phone #2).

Phone #2, whose number is only known to friends and family, is my "real" phone where I talk with real people.

If phone #2 starts getting polluted with crap calls, I'll terminate phone number #1, turn phone #2 into my crap interceptor, and start a new phone #3 for those select few I actually want to talk with.

Snoqueen, if I had never read another post of yours, this one, along with your screenname, would convince me that you were a drug dealer.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:44 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:
snoqueen wrote:I ported my landline number to a cheapo no-contract cell, ditched the land line, and let that cell pick up the fake charity calls. Costs me something like $9.99/mo. I also use this for business calls, setting appointments and the like. That's phone #1. I never answer it in person, and never carry it around (though perversely its reception is more reliable than phone #2).

Snoqueen, if I had never read another post of yours, this one, along with your screenname, would convince me that you were a drug dealer.

See, I was thinking a female Matt Bourne
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:05 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:See, I was thinking a female Matt Bourne

Good old Matt Bo[u]rne.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:31 pm

sonnofa...

Jason Bourne as played by Matt Damon.

I missed my nap time
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:27 pm

Donald wrote:I never answer the phone anymore unless it's a number I recognize. These police, fire, etc. "charities" are just scams..

What do you mean by that? They aren't real police, fire men, or charities? That would be illegal.

Stebben84 wrote:Ditched the landline years ago. I have never once gotten a phone solicitation through my cell. With good enough service, why have both?

I have a landline phone with TDS ($25/mo) and a simple cell phone with AT&T pay as you go ($8/mo). I carry the cell phone with me and only use about 20 minutes/month. Here are reasons I keep my landline:

-with a landline phone they can locate a 911 call I make and I am unable to give them my address (choking, fainting, tied up and gagged, etc).
-cost less than a cell phone with full service (which is $60/mo or more)
-no contract needed
-if my cell gets lost, stolen, or broken, I still have a home land line phone
-avoid radiation from cell phone
-land line phone doesn't need me to charge them, don't have to worry about low battery.

I can't believe the money people waste on their contract cell phones.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:46 pm

You do know that land lines will eventually be extinct, like phone booths, don't you? I am what most would consider to be a late adopter of cell phones. Now I often marvel at how people ever got along without them.

So Beav, if you're out on a lonely country road on a cold snowy winter night, and your car slides into a ditch.....good luck calling for help from your land line, miles away from your freezing in the dark self.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All