MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Too much methane

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Too much methane

Postby Shorty » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:30 pm

Three States are fueling global warming.

http://news.yahoo.com/study-us-spewing- ... 54426.html

"The United States is spewing 50 percent more methane — a potent heat-trapping gas — than the federal government estimates, a new comprehensive scientific study says. Much of it is coming from just three states: Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas. That means methane may be a bigger global warming issue than thought, scientists say. Methane is 21 times more potent at trapping heat than carbon dioxide, the most abundant global warming gas, although it doesn't stay in the air as long.

Much of that extra methane, also called natural gas, seems to be coming from livestock, including manure, belches, and flatulence, as well as leaks from refining and drilling for oil and gas, the study says. It was published Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science."
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Too much methane

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:07 am

Didn't the City of Madison or UW have service vehicles running on some alternative fuel? There was a big deal made about it in the news. I just wish I could remember the silver logo on the back of the vehicle as it was driving down State St.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:32 am

Maybe you are thinking of propane (CNG, compressed natural gas). Badger Cab has used propane for years, and I believe Dane County wants to convert its fleet to propane over the coming years. MGE has more info on their web page if you want it.

Propane burns cleaner then gasoline but, being obtained by fracking, presents environmental issues of its own.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:05 am

Bwis53 wrote:Didn't the City of Madison or UW have service vehicles running on some alternative fuel?

Bartertown.

Max: Bullshit!
Aunty Entity: No. Pig shit.
Max: What?
The Collector: Pig shit. The lights, the motors, the vehicles, all run by a high-powered gas called methane. And methane cometh from pig shit.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:13 am

Well clearly the solution to global warming is to pass out Beano to the world's cattle (and to somehow reverse the fact the world has been coming out of an ice age for the past 10,000 years.)
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:23 am

Doesn't a high veggie/legume/soy diet produce a lot of gas?

#vegetariansarekillingmotherearth
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:32 am

snoqueen wrote:Propane burns cleaner then gasoline but, being obtained by fracking, presents environmental issues of its own.

Doesn't have to be obtained by fracking, but it helps.

Ned Flanders wrote:Doesn't a high veggie/legume/soy diet produce a lot of gas?

#vegetariansarekillingmotherearth

Kill 'em with kindness.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:48 pm

Dangerousman wrote:Well clearly the solution to global warming is to pass out Beano to the world's cattle (and to somehow reverse the fact the world has been coming out of an ice age for the past 10,000 years.)

I've read if it weren't for man-made global warming the Earth would currently be in a cooling period. The late 19th and early 20th century scientists noticed the temps were cooling but since 1920 they have been rising due to man made global warming.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:12 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Didn't the City of Madison or UW have service vehicles running on some alternative fuel? There was a big deal made about it in the news. I just wish I could remember the silver logo on the back of the vehicle as it was driving down State St.

Don't know about Madison in particular but propane makes a fairly good motor fuel. It burns in a regular engine with slight modifications to the fuel system. Because it is liquid under pressure it can be fairly energy dense, though not as much as gasoline

Problems are the size of the tank. The propane tank winds up taking about 25% of a pickup truck bed to give almost the same range as a gas tank. It is also heavy which leads to poorer milage.

And in Wisconsin, in winter, the propane would need to be heated to gasify it.

Back in the 80's the plant where I worked had 3-4 standby generators, 50KW or so range, and we powered them all with propane.

6-7 years ago I sat next to a farmer from either Minnesota or Wisconsin on a plane and we got talking. He had several thousand cows and collected all their manure, fed it into digesters and generated enough methane to run 5 1MW Caterpillar generators. He used a bit of the power to run the farm and sold the rest back to the power company. He used the heat from the exhaust, radiator and oil cooler to keep the digesters warm and fermenting. Also for building heat and hot water. His big complaint was that he was wasting about half the heat because he had no way to use it.

There is, or was back in the 80s and 90s a hell of a lot of energy being generated in the US from manure. There may still be but I have not kept up on it and with gas prices so low, it might not still be viable.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Return to National Politics & Government