MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, December 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

#Waitress#Tip#Scam

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

#Waitress#Tip#Scam

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:11 am

Butchy Broad Busted

Family Says They Did Tip Gay Server, Didn't Leave Note

After a gay server at a New Jersey restaurant said a customer denied her a tip and wrote her a hateful note on the receipt, a local family contacted NBC 4 New York and said their receipt shows they paid a tip and didn't write any such note.

more...

But a family contacted NBC 4 New York claiming their receipt from the restaurant shows they did leave a tip, and provided what they said was a credit card statement as proof.

The husband and wife, who asked to remain anonymous, showed NBC 4 New York a receipt that appeared to be printed at the same minute, on the same date, for the same $93.55 total, except with an $18 tip.

They also provided a document they said was a Visa bill, which appears to indicate their card was charged for the meal plus the tip, for a total of $111.55.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Ga ... 40811.html
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Re: #Waitress#Tip#Scam

Postby gargantua » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:18 am

How could they prove what was or was not written on the merchant copy of the receipt?
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:08 pm

gargantua wrote:How could they prove what was or was not written on the merchant copy of the receipt?

An original receipt with a transaction ID, date and time stamp showing the meal total, tip total and grand total...AND they have a credit card statement showing the grand total that matches the receipt. I suppose you could create fakes of all this stuff but why would someone (who was anonymous already) go to the trouble to make up fake receipts? Something stinks in this story and I think the odor is coming from the waitress.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:28 pm

Better get Darrell Issa on it right away!
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:40 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:Better get Darrell Issa on it right away!

Honesty, is there anything more despicable then using perceived victim-status to demonize an unsuspecting party for personal gain?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:54 pm

Shame on the waitress if this is true. No need to make stories up about the "bad" treatment when there are plenty of real examples out there.

The thing that strikes me as odd in this is, why wait so long to bring this out? If that was me the waitress had lied about I would have gone to a media outlet and showed them my receipt with the tip right away. Why wait?
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:55 pm

HawkHead wrote:Why wait?

Depends on how long it took the family to see the interwebs.

That waitress is despicable.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:34 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
HawkHead wrote:Why wait?

Depends on how long it took the family to see the interwebs.

That waitress is despicable.

Yes, they saw it online and the husband recognized his signature, even though it was mostly blurred out.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:46 pm

Conclusive proof that homophobia, much like racism, no longer exists in America and the real homophobes are the gays. amiright?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:08 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Conclusive proof that homophobia, much like racism, no longer exists in America and the real homophobes are the gays. amiright?

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:13 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Conclusive proof that homophobia, much like racism, no longer exists in America and the real homophobes are the gays. amiright?

No, but that was an asshole move. There are other ways to draw attention to homophobia and racism. Lying isn't one of them, especially in an age of the intertubes when stories spread quick and people start giving you money.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:21 pm

Stebben84 wrote:

No, but that was an asshole move. There are other ways to draw attention to homophobia and racism. Lying isn't one of them, especially in an age of the intertubes when stories spread quick and people start giving you money.

I know this. I'm just attempting to find a point to Ned posting it. He doesn't just follow up on random stories. He's got some point only he understands he's trying to shove in some peoples faces.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:55 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
Michael Patrick wrote:Better get Darrell Issa on it right away!

Honesty, is there anything more despicable then using perceived victim-status to demonize an unsuspecting party for personal gain?

Maybe you should ask the guy that was working for Chad Lee...

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:12 pm

I remember a few months ago when a young black waitress posted something similar and got thousands of dollars in donations over the web. Pretty dumb folks to throw money at something so mundane as a waitress getting stiffed, even if there were further insults involved. It's not exactly an uncommon experience.

As for Ned, I think he's just pointing out an instance where a perceived injustice against a "liberal" was, in fact, faked. This permits him to minimize and ridicule people who are victims of actual injustice.

He'll keep it in his "Reverend Al" basket for future use.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:23 pm

As I said, the victims are the people she scammed.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines