MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

No, I'm not using a mobile device...

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

No, I'm not using a mobile device...

Postby brentron909 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:09 am

The re-design of the City of Madison website reminds me of an annoying trend- Responsive Web Design (aka mobile-friendly web design)

Call me old-fashioned, but I still do most of my browsing on a desktop or laptop. Am I part of a dying breed?

Some of my favorite web sites- AV Club, Slate, Gawker, to name a few- have all recently gone through facelifts similar to the City of Madison site: removing menus, search functionality, and other basic navigation features resulting in a mobile-friendly site that's essentially The Internet With Training Wheels.

As I presume these sites- and the media conglomerates that own them- to be forward thinking, tech-friendly entities, does this mean that we're at the beginning stages of an overall shift? Or is it (hopefully) the result of some overzealous programmer anxious to play with new toys?

Whatever the case, I think it's annoying. I know in the future we'll all be wearing tinfoil jumpsuits and accessing the web with responsive glasses and touch-screen watches, but for right now I think the obsession with mobile-friendly is a bit rash.

Anyone else with me?

Take note Daily Page designers!
brentron909
Forum Addict

Re: No, I'm not using a mobile device...

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:05 pm

I still use a dumb phone...
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:37 pm

One data point: more visits to Facebook are from smart phones than other devices.

However, they have a specialized app ... most people aren't visiting Facebook's mobile site. App's are pricier to develop and I don't see the City creating a comprehensive app anytime soon.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:45 pm

brentron909 wrote:Take note Daily Page designers!

They have their page optimized for mobile use and it's pretty nice. Have you noticed any problem when you check it out on a laptop. It's called a good web designer. The city just did a crappy job.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dead ed » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:42 pm

I was able to find where to pay my parking tickets and the brush collection schedul in just a three clicks each, so I'm good.

de
dead ed

Return to Technology & Video Games