MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

I just watched a pretty good movie

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

I just watched a pretty good movie

Postby bdog » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:47 pm

"Dreamland"

Makes a trailer park in New Mexico look like heaven.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: I just watched a pretty good movie

Postby pjbogart » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:13 am

Troll Hunter. Mockumentary that didn't involve a cameraman suffering from Parkinson's. Special effects were actually pretty impressive. Swedish or Norse, so you need to do a bit of reading, but worth the watch. On Netflix.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:03 am

The Family [Malavita] (2013)
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:28 am

"Escape". Norwegian flick, I assume, available on Netflix. Subtitled sword and shield drama with a surprising lack of vampires, ogres, wizards or dragons. Period piece set to the end of the Black Plague where government seems absent and roaming gangs of violent marauders serve as a substitute for state military. Well acted, well written, excellent cinematography.

Girls kidnapped by militia. Girls fight back. That's about it, but I found it really well made.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:02 pm

Jesus Camp. Holy shit is that crazy.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:15 am

Stebben84 wrote:Jesus Camp. Holy shit is that crazy.

I had that one cued up and finally watched it tonight. I'm not sure that I'd term it child abuse, but I certainly felt sorry for a lot of those kids. What can you really expect from kids homeschooled by evangelicals?

I hope they find Jesus some day. Seriously.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

I just watched a pretty blecch movie

Postby Marvell » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:45 am

I just watched St. Elmo's Fire.

It wasn't terrible - though lord knows it wasn't good - as much as incredibly mediocre. And it left me completely befuddled; why was the whole 'Brat Pack' thing ever a thing? As a cohort, they suck.

Emilio Estevez is kind of likable, I guess, and Rob Lowe actually turned out okay. But the rest of them? Yeesh.

It did make me want to get to work on the script for the long awaited sequel, Let's All Slap Andrew McCarthy Across His Whimpering Puss.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:02 pm

Marvell wrote:Emilio Estevez is kind of likable, I guess...
You've obviously never seen Wisdom.
One viewing of that will cure you of any notion that Emilio Estevez should be allowed to live.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:34 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:One viewing of that will cure you of any notion that Emilio Estevez should be allowed to live.

Come on now, don't forget Repo Man. Or Young Guns, or The Breakfast Club. He had his moments.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:45 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:One viewing of that will cure you of any notion that Emilio Estevez should be allowed to live.

Come on now, don't forget Repo Man. Or Young Guns, or The Breakfast Club. He had his moments.

I'm no Young Guns fan (although it does have one of the best tripping scenes ever filmed) and the other two came out before Wisdom, so had he been executed in say, late 1985 (preferably just before Maximum Overdrive was filmed), no harm would have been done.

And folks, for the record, The Breakfast Club is not a good movie. I can pretty much guarantee you'll never find anyone who wasn't between the ages of 11 and 17 when it came out who would like it. You totally had to be there for that one. Repo Man, on the other hand, is brilliant despite the presence of Emilio Estevez. He's really just kind of a shitty actor who made really shitty films. (see also Men At Work, Freejack, or any Mighty Ducks movie.) You know you're pretty untalented when Charlie Sheen has a longer, more distinguished career than you.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Gentle Man » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:20 pm

I watched Gravity last night.

Spoiler alert--- don't read further if you haven't seen it but plan to see it----

I would have preferred a Road Runner/Wylie Coyote ending: When Sandy Bullock comes crawling out of the water onto land, George Clooney's flaming body should come screaming from the sky (cue the falling bomb sound effect) and flattened her. That would have been a perfect ending to an otherwise "pretty good movie."
Gentle Man
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:13 pm

Yeah, I went out of my way to see Gravity in 3-D Imax, something I never otherwise do, because I was excited by the idea of "realistic" space effects in such a format. And I wasn't disappointed -- it was a pretty good movie and it did look pretty damn cool. But I can't imagine ever needing to see it again given that there's not much to it storywise and Bullock isn't exactly a compelling actress. But I definitely would've preferred your suggested ending.

Oh, and it's "Wile E. Coyote". I think it's worth the nitpick, as the joke is kinda lost in your spelling.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:23 am

The Grand Budapest Hotel. After lengthy tech problems with my printer and computer, this was a wonderful distraction, full of wonderful characters and locals. I've had the pleasure of knowing marvelous old places like that. My TV is small but it didn't matter! Worth the time!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:18 pm

Gentle Man wrote:
I watched Gravity last night.

No you didn't.

Unless you saw it the way Prof describes, you didn't see anything.

I watched it again when it came out on bluray with my huge, fancy, surround sound, etc setup... it sucked.

If you didn't pony up the $15 for the 3D IMAX minimally at Star Cinema when it came out then you didn't see it.

That was the only way to view that film.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:33 am

"Beware of Mr. Baker"

A documentary about Ginger Baker, the drummer with Cream, Blind Faith, various jazz groups and African drumming. A fascinating look at the irascible Mr. Baker. He is interviewed at his South Africa ranch and includes great archival footage. Even though he is in his 70s, the mad drummer is still full of piss and vinegar.

He even bloodied the nose of the documentarian with his walking cane when he found out that people who know him (including his relatives and ex-wifes) would be included in the film.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Movies