MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, January 29, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

I just watched a pretty bad movie

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

I just watched a pretty bad movie

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:20 pm

Grudge Match.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting much, but De Niro and Arkin can pull off comedy well enough and I have a sentimental spot for the Rocky movies (except V).

Typical example of a slick preview containing all the funniest parts of a movie and then, having seen them already, they just weren't that funny the second time.

Saw it at Eastgate and hadn't been there in awhile. The impending move must be coming up because they're really letting the place go. Peeling wallpaper and the bathrooms at the far end smelled like they hadn't been cleaned since Raging Bull.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: I just watched a pretty bad movie

Postby Igor » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:10 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Grudge Match.

Typical example of a slick preview containing all the funniest parts of a movie and then, having seen them already, they just weren't that funny the second time.

That seemed like it might have been the case - sorry you had to discover it in person.

We went to Walter Mitty, which I liked quite a bit. Planning on seeing American Hustle as well.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:18 pm

American Hustle was pretty good, but also not really like the previews/commercials would lead you to believe. At least, the ones I saw, which were marketing it as sort of a comedy ... which it ain't.

Either way, Christian Bale is really good in it.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:25 pm

minicat wrote:American Hustle was pretty good, but also not really like the previews/commercials would lead you to believe. At least, the ones I saw, which were marketing it as sort of a comedy ... which it ain't.

Either way, Christian Bale is really good in it.

Agree about Christian Bale. It did have a few comedic moments, but it is not predominantly a comedy. But it is definitely worth seeing.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:06 pm

These positive comments should probably be in bdog's thread. I didn't mean to steal his idea and his audience.

Our choice was between Grudge Match and The Wolf of Wall Street. GM won out due to Wolf's 3-hour running time. Too big of a risk. Most 3-hour movies should have been about 2 hours and 10 minutes. That extra 50 can be excruciating.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:30 pm

minicat wrote:... but also not really like the previews/commercials would lead you to believe.
I'm astounded!!!

BTW, would you be interested in a major NYC bridge for sale? (Very cheap!)
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:47 pm

Some movies are so painful, I fast forward them or turn them off the first 15 minutes...

Rotten Tomatoes...

Blue Jasmine...
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Teri_Caddell » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:40 pm

Advertising movies that are not really that good helps in promoting them. However, it frustrates lots of moviegoers. But hey, show business is still a business.
Teri_Caddell

Postby BigBadWolf » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:48 am

Someone mentioned Blue Jasmine here. It was not a bad movie, it was pretty good I must say. However I would never agree to call it a comedy! I know it said comedy-drama but directed by Woody Allen I expected something else. I got a decent movie which was depressing and tragic. If I approached it as such the whole watching experience might have been different and better.
It wasn't bad or boring but I really expected a comedy...
BigBadWolf

Return to Movies