MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 39.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Wind chill warning

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Wind chill warning

Postby Shorty » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:22 pm

Madison public schools closed Monday. UW and State employees have to go to work. I wonder how many will die of hypothermia? I feel sorry for the Packer fans who will sit in misery Sunday. I wish the Bears had won so they would be the ones outside.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Wind chill warning

Postby gargantua » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:56 pm

Shorty wrote: I wish the Bears had won so they would be the ones outside.

Words fail me.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:30 pm

My kitchen pipes are frozen. No water.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:59 pm

Shut off the water to that run of pipe -- or to all of it, if you don't have enough shutoffs. Otherwise you're going to have a waterfall someplace when the pipe ruptures.

Open the faucets to the sink. I am assuming the supply to the sink is what froze.

See if you can determine where the frozen spot is. It's usually within an outside wall behind the kitchen sink.

Try thawing the frozen area with something gradual like a hair dryer, or by shining a lightbulb (incandescent, obviously, and use a drop light with a reflector if possible) on the frozen area. Leave the cabinets under the sink open. Do not leave a heat source unattended, you're just risking a fire.

If the freeze is in a crawl space, you might need to go in there. Try a lightbulb or hair dryer, again. Do not leave that heat source unattended either -- stay nearby.

Once you get water flowing again, leave a trickle about the size of a pencil lead coming out of the faucet until we get out of this weather pattern. Keeping the water moving might be wasteful, but sometimes it'll prevent re-freezing.

In the future, consider having that run of pipe moved. I had the supply to my sink moved from way back by the outside wall to right inside the cabinet door. The plumber very neatly routed the pipes around the interior of that cabinet and up to the sink faucets. Highly recommended.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:22 pm

I don't know which pipe is frozen. I've been running a hair dryer on all of them I can see every hour or two. Have had cabinet doors open since Sunday. Thanks for the advice. I've read most of it here:

http://www.redcross.org/prepare/disaste ... ozen-pipes

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index. ... nt_th.html
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:14 pm

Polar Vortex. The latest ejaculate to shoot from the mouths of the new breed of rock-star weathermen. Weather...with an edge

snoqueen wrote:n the future, consider having that run of pipe moved. I had the supply to my sink moved from way back by the outside wall to right inside the cabinet door.

For the life of me I don't understand why sooo many houses in this climate still have the kitchen sink on an outside wall. Mine's not and my pipes have frozen exactly zero times. It seems so fucking ridiculous to me that even brand new homes have the pipes running into the wall and not routed like Sno's. Is it really that important to gaze out the window while you stand at your sink? I imagine there was a time when the housewife liked to keep an eye on the kids in the yard while she washed dishes and peeled potatoes all day, but that just isn't the case anymore. Kids don't play in the yard now, they sit on the couch and stare into their fucking phones.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:24 pm

On the frozen pipe subject. If yours are freezing, check under the sink and in the basement where the pipes go into the wall. Many times people will stuff these openings with insulation. However sometimes those openings are the only way any heat from the house is getting into the wall and keeping the pipes from freezing.

On these bad nights you can keep the undersink doors open and aim a small fan under there to keep warm house air circulating around the pipes and into those wall openings.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TeachInPeace » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:20 pm

My kitchen pipes are in the outside wall...and yes, it is that necessary to look out the window while at the sink. In fact, that was one of the essential criteria in my house hunt. I like to see the light, the birds, the dog, while washing dishes, or sometimes just look out the window and watch the sunrise.

Meanwhile I've been lucky so far, pipes are good, and we're on the downhill side of this thing!
TeachInPeace

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:39 pm

TeachInPeace wrote:My kitchen pipes are in the outside wall...and yes, it is that necessary to look out the window while at the sink. In fact, that was one of the essential criteria in my house hunt. I like to see the light, the birds, the dog, while washing dishes, or sometimes just look out the window and watch the sunrise.

Meanwhile I've been lucky so far, pipes are good, and we're on the downhill side of this thing!

I'm making a rustic garden collage over mine, to mimic what I wish I could see.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:20 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Is it really that important to gaze out the window while you stand at your sink?

Yes.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:21 pm

Ducatista wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:Is it really that important to gaze out the window while you stand at your sink?

Yes.

Yes.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:59 am

I should have known better than to hose the salt off our car on Saturday. Let's just say, things got a little inconvenient today.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:23 am

rabble wrote:
Ducatista wrote:

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

My current apartment has a blank wall over the sink and I hate it.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:39 am

Well good then. When I'm house hunting this spring there shouldn't be much competition for the ones I want.

Do any of you need to rent my heat gun?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TeachInPeace » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:12 am

Nope - shouldn't that problem have more to do with insulation than pipe placement? The only time I've ever experienced multiple pipe freezes was in my 1930s teacherage, which was built out of (I think) plywood, tar paper, and baling wire. Oddly enough, those pipes were all in internal walls, and they still froze.
TeachInPeace

Next

Return to Town Vibe