MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

requiem for badgercare

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

requiem for badgercare

Postby Huckleby » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:23 am

I'm not sure most people understand what we have lost in WI this year. Badgercare was a wonderfully designed program, a model for the nation, and it just got blown up.

Badgercare was WI's version of medicaid, it gave very inexpensive health care services to families earning < $15k, and families up to $45K could purchase health insurance scaled to their income. (my numbers are very rough.) There are no other states that do this, to my knowledge. Tommy Thompson pushed through a very practical and progressive blueprint for healthcare reform.

BTW, I post sometimes in a very conservative forum. When I explained to those guys that Badgercare required low income families to pay $150/mo in premiums, they thought it sounded like a great program. It struck the perfect balance, placing a doable burden on people, and making health care for all a realistic goal.

Well, Walker had the option to take federal medicaid dollars and strengthen Badgercare, make it work fully as intended without waiting lists. But instead he threw a grenade into it. Badgercare is now just traditional medicaid for the very poorest, it continues in name only.

It's a crying shame, as big of a deal as the blow dealt to unions.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: requiem for badgercare

Postby snoqueen » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:55 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was a Thompson era program. That's Tommy Thompson, a Republican who went on to serve as head of DHSS under a Republican president.

What's happened to this country? That's it in a nutshell.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:03 am

snoqueen wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was a Thompson era program. That's Tommy Thompson, a Republican who went on to serve as head of DHSS under a Republican president

yes, TT created a public option for people earning less than 300% of poverty. He was the original communist plotter.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:16 am

Counties throughout Wisconsin plan to hold advisory referenda on BadgerCare.

So far, Eau Claire, Dunn and Milwaukee counties have voted to include BadgerCare questions on November ballots. County committees in Outagamie, Dane, Washburn and Bayfield counties have recommended similar moves and all await county board action. The question will also go before committees in Jefferson and Lincoln counties this month. Monroe County voted at the committee level not to ask the question of its constituents. Many of the counties that include the referendum question are following Eua Claire County’s lead for wording, where the question will read 'Shall the governor accept federal funding for the expansion of Medicaid/BadgerCare in Wisconsin to cover persons up to 138% of the federal poverty level?'
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:21 pm

In many respects, Tommy Thompson was the last of the "reasonable Republicans". Most folks forget that Thompson was not only receptive to public sector unions but worked hard to KEEP talented state professionals from going into the private ranks. I wasn't a fan of everything TT did, but in the prism of history, he was ok...
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government