MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Rindfleisch emails

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Rindfleisch emails

Postby Shorty » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:12 pm

I was reading through the Rindfleisch emails released:
http://www.progressive.org/starting-tod ... -hot-water

Many are from Scott Walker using his verizon blackberry. Some have the standard privacy disclaimer. Is it safe to assume this disclaimer is meaningless now and the emails can be posted here for discussion?:
The information contained in this communication may be confidential or legally privileged and is intended only for the recipient named above.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication or its contents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately advise the sender and delete the original and any copies from your computer
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Rindfleisch emails

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:15 pm

I think you might be in trouble for even posting the disclaimer.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:37 pm

You're both kidding, right?
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:42 pm

Well I am, I can't speak for Shorty though.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:05 pm

Electronic privacy disclaimers aren't worth the paper they're printed on.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Maggie » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:44 am

So what do you guys think?

Is it over for Walker?
Maggie
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:14 am

I think it is appropriate to create a thread just for these emails.

I don't think Walker would have had a chance at the presidency anyway, with or without this little song and dance. He had too much baggage right from the start and a presidential campaign would have made it much more public than any of the other elections did.

So I'm not sure how I feel about this. I think he would have been easier to beat than Christie, were it not for Christie's current problems. But now I have no idea who'll get the nomination. As near as I can tell, neither do the Republicans.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:36 am

I don't think the general public cares what Walker did while he was still county exec.

What he did and does as governor could attract a little more attention, as we see in the Christie story.

However, Christie's traffic escapade actually inconvenienced or even harmed people in a visible way. And nothing gets the public more whipped up than traffic, roads, and commuting.

In contrast, what Walker did has no visible drama and did not mess up anyone's commute, which doesn't say much for public awareness (we already knew that). It'll be hard to come up with a sound bite or photo to fixate on. Getting the public's attention and creating a narrative simple enough to influence voters regarding a campaign finance story is an uphill struggle. We already know the Ds are not good at pitching a story in this way. NPR is trying to explain it in this morning's news, and it's not easy.

If the probable coordination between Walker's campaign and outside money and interests is documented, the fact he was governor (during the recall) might make a difference within the Republican party, but will it help or hurt? Now that the big money can see how much he likes to play their way, his chances for the nomination might be better rather than worse. And he hasn't made a public ass of himself like Ted Cruz.

I don't think the Kelly R documents will make a lot of difference. The DA already decided nothing in there was big enough to tip over a sitting governor, and I'm thinking they made the right judgment call. It's likely JD 2 is looking at more significant matters, stuff beyond secret email networks and office staff campaigning on the public dime.
Last edited by snoqueen on Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:39 am

Maggie wrote:So what do you guys think?

Is it over for Walker?

Reading the extensive commentary attached to two articles at madison.com, I have learned that most conservatives (and some liberals) in this state seem to feel "as long as it's not illegal it's just fine."

So sadly no, it's not over for Walker.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:52 am

wack wack wrote:

Is it over for Walker?

Reading the extensive commentary attached to two articles at madison.com, I have learned that most conservatives (and some liberals) in this state seem to feel "as long as it's not illegal it's just fine."

Why would they (or anyone) think this type of activity is legal? Are these Walker supporters really that dumb, or brainwashed, or whatever the fuck their problem is?

The most interesting email I've seen so far was one that indicated Walker knew about the secret email network. I'm kinda wondering why the first John Doe probe ignored that fact.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:02 am

Probably. But you never can tell what's going to capture people's attention. At least I can't.

It might depend on how much embarrassing stuff they can find in the emails.

I think this post from Wonkette captures it nicely - the staff was comfortable sending racist 'jokes' to each other, using an illegal email system. But their refined sense of propriety couldn't tolerate an hourly worker who had modeled a thong.

That's not a game-changer by itself. Unless there is a lot more like that.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:22 am

minicat wrote:
wack wack wrote:

Is it over for Walker?

Why would they (or anyone) think this type of activity is legal? Are these Walker supporters really that dumb, or brainwashed, or whatever the fuck their problem is?

While reading through all the comments, I kept hearing Leonard Hofstadter's voice: "Way to think outside but pressed right up against the box, Sheldon." Not entirely applicable, but the spirit of toeing the line to an is extreme the same... illegal is illegal and not is not, of course; there is no gray!
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:48 am

Walker's leadership style, personality and ego are going to be what ends up doing the most damage, though I think the fact that we have had exactly one president in the last 100 years without a college degree and that was over 60 years ago may be the best sign he won't go far.

Like Rabble said, It's sort of a pity. I can see him doing better then a lot of the big names in the last GOP primary, but he would be fairly easy to defeat in the general. My guess is the GOP goes with someone fairly young and well spoken who can at least claim to have tried to work with Democrats.

minicat wrote:Why would they (or anyone) think this type of activity is legal?

As far as what Walker did: because no charges were filed against him. My guess is the concept of working on non-work related activities while on the clock doesn't reach the level of crime in most peoples minds...

and on that note.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:32 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote: My guess is the concept of working on non-work related activities while on the clock doesn't reach the level of crime in most peoples minds...

and on that note.

good point.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:04 pm

The rubes in this state probably won't bat an eyelash over Walker stating that he was unaware of any of this, even though these emails clearly contradict that and prove that he is a liar. Why? Lying makes him seem like your average sconnie, i guess. But yep, the DA felt that it didn't rise to the level of being criminal. I think the racist emails by his staffers are more politically damaging, but it won't lose him any GOP votes..independents perhaps, time will tell.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government