MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Madison Breed Specific Pit Bull Ordinance

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Madison Breed Specific Pit Bull Ordinance

Postby rustle » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:06 am

That proposed ordinance requiring all dogs who are, or have appearance of pit bulls, be spayed/neutered in City of Madison. Alder Strasser refers to a "segment" of the population that overbreeds and is irresponsible with dogs. Sounds like there might be a racial/socioeconomic class tone to that. I don't like it. Suspect it may be one of those things that could be very selectively enforced especially since the dogs covered are vaguely and subjectively identified.
rustle

Re: Madison Breed Specific Pit Bull Ordinance

Postby david cohen » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:38 am

I don't give a shit about "racial/socioeconomic class tones". when I take my dog to the dog park and there is a pit bull there, I pack up and go home. They aren't the only aggressive breed out there, but they are much more aggressive than most and I don't take any chances. With some breeds, you can get away with not training them and you'll be ok. With a pit bull, absolutely not. It takes a strong owner. A close relative has been a top breeder of American Staffordshire's for 30 years and he'll tell you the same thing. They can be very fuzzy and sweet...until provoked or enticed. When Mike Vick came calling, my cousin told him to piss off.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:46 am

david cohen wrote:They aren't the only aggressive breed out there, but they are much more aggressive than most and I don't take any chances.

False.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:49 am

O.J. wrote:
david cohen wrote:They aren't the only aggressive breed out there, but they are much more aggressive than most and I don't take any chances.

False.

30 yrs of actual experience proves otherwise. Please not what I said- the lack of training by actual owners is key here.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:56 am

I like the ordinance. I would rather just ban Pit Bulls and Rotties entirely. Those two breeds have killed the most people in the US in dog attacks since 1995.

From 1947 to 2001 there were 36 Americans killed by dogs, no more than 7 fatalities per year, and most years there were none. Since 2005 with the increase of pit bulls and rotties the average is now more than 30 fatalities per year. Disgusting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_dog_ ... ed_in_2014
Last edited by Shorty on Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:00 am

There are no bad dog breeds, only bad dog owners. Show me a bill that mandates licensure for dog ownership, and I'll say it's a good start.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:03 am

I don't know that I'd favor an outright ban of the breed, but certainly spaying/neutering. My point was that this isn't racial or socioeconomic discrimination. I see more white females being walked by their bullies around town:)
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:05 am

TheBookPolice wrote:There are no bad dog breeds, only bad dog owners. Show me a bill that mandates licensure for dog ownership, and I'll say it's a good start.

Kind of similar to gun laws. A semi-automatic rifle can kill more people more easily than a handgun or shotgun. Thus, the most dangerous guns are the ones that should be banned first.

Likewise, pit bulls and rotties can be trained to kill people more easily than other than dogs. Because of their potential, and past track record, the pit bulls and rotties should be banned.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:06 am

TheBookPolice wrote:There are no bad dog breeds, only bad dog owners. Show me a bill that mandates licensure for dog ownership, and I'll say it's a good start.

No doubt that if you own an aggressive breed (not necessarily a bad breed) of dog, you need to be the alpha dog. Constantly! That goes for labs, setters, collies, dachsunds, and any type of bullie.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:11 am

Have labs, setters, collies, dachsunds, poddles, cockers, etc, killed any Americans in dog attacks? Seems like two breeds do almost all the killing.

Top 10 Most Dangerous Dog Breeds Based on Bite Fatalities
http://www.curiosityaroused.com/nature/ ... atalities/
"Coming in at #2, the Rottweiler was responsible for 39 fatalities in this study. Another very old breed the Rottweiler is one of the oldest herding breeds in existence. As with most old breeds, their prey drives require much training to dampen.

To anyone who knows dogs, the American Pit Bull Terrier is no surprise at #1 on a list of deadliest dogs. In this study the Pit Bull stood far ahead of all the other breeds with 66 fatalities attributed to it. Known for their extremely aggressive nature, many states have legislation banning the breeding of pit bulls."
Last edited by Shorty on Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:14 am

Any dog -- even a "dangerous" or "aggressive" breed -- can be trained to do good, to provide comfort, to contribute positively to the world around it. Even when a gun is protecting a family, or providing food, or defending a country, it does so by destruction. The only thing a gun is designed to do is destroy. The comparision is specious.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:40 am

The gun comparision is not specious. There are many dog breeds other than pit bulls and rotties that do good, provide comfort, and contribute positively. If that is why people want a dog, they should get a non-aggressive breed that isn't dangerous. Besides, those other breeds are better looking.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:56 am

Shorty wrote:Besides, those other breeds are better looking.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:32 pm

david cohen wrote:No doubt that if you own an aggressive breed (not necessarily a bad breed) of dog, you need to be the alpha dog. Constantly! That goes for labs, setters, collies, dachsunds, and any type of bullie.

Wait...labs are an "aggressive breed"?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:33 pm

[sarcasm] Here are some horrible, horrible monsters, good for nothing but destruction. [/sarcasm]

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/2 ... 64240.html
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government