MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, January 25, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  Mostly Cloudy and Breezy
Collapse Photo Bar

March madness contest

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

March madness contest

Postby Shorty » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:20 pm

It's that time of year again for NCAA basketball tourney contests. I re-opened our group from last year. I sent email invites to last year's players to join, but new people can join, too. The group name is Daily page. Go to this page and enter group ID# 183316 and password: isthmus

https://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo. ... ivategroup

Last year Meade won. Will he return to defend? Will someone else win?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: March madness contest

Postby fennel » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:24 pm

Rabbits in moonlight. That is all you need to know.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:47 am

That password doesn't seem to work for me.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:32 am

Since when does Yahoo need to send me a text message to fill out a bracket?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:50 pm

wallrock, not sure why your password didn't work. It worked for fennel and me. Did you use all lowercase letters? The right ID#?

group ID: 183316
password: isthmus

Fisty, you played last year so yahoo sends you an email or text this year. Is that a big problem?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:17 pm

Shorty wrote:Fisty, you played last year so yahoo sends you an email or text this year. Is that a big problem?

fisticuffs is pointing out that the sign-up process now asks for a mobile number, stating that it is required for participation in the Pick 'Em competition. This appears to be new this year, and it is lame. In fact, it is so lame (you give Yahoo permission to text-spam you) that I'm sorry, but I won't be participating this year. It's a big loss for you all, I know.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:10 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
Shorty wrote:Fisty, you played last year so yahoo sends you an email or text this year. Is that a big problem?

fisticuffs is pointing out that the sign-up process now asks for a mobile number, stating that it is required for participation in the Pick 'Em competition. This appears to be new this year, and it is lame. In fact, it is so lame (you give Yahoo permission to text-spam you) that I'm sorry, but I won't be participating this year. It's a big loss for you all, I know.

Yeah I want to participate but Yahoo already has everything they need from me and the permission to text SPAM is just too much. I hope this is just for the Madness as I rather enjoy the Yahoo Fantasy sports.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:43 pm

fisticuffs wrote:I hope this is just for the Madness as I rather enjoy the Yahoo Fantasy sports.

Yahoo is changing their policies and soon you won't be able to sign in with Google or Facebook. I'm guessing this is part of that change over. I use Yahoo for our fantasy league and I sure hope they don't require this. Blerf.

Considering I watch virtually no basketball, I would pick as intelligently as Sandi debating global warming.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:42 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:fisticuffs is pointing out that the sign-up process now asks for a mobile number, stating that it is required for participation in the Pick 'Em competition.

Oh that. Yes yahoo asks for your mobile when you sign up for the tourney. It will probably be that way for all fantasy sports. It asks me that every now and then when I use yahoo email, too. Google email is the same way. I suspect both yahoo and google will make everyone give them their mobile this year if you want to keep using them.

If you don't want to give them your mobile, you can sign up for a free mobile number to use for purposes like this. Google offers one, which is what I have: http://google.com/voice

Or you can try these links:
https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=Ag ... tb-gl-gen1
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:04 am

Pretty sure they have my number already too. They want me to take an extra step to allow them to advertise to it. I can then take another step and cancel that authorization after the fact but guess what? There are lots of places to fill out a bracket on the interwebs. I'm guessing Yahoo will see a STEEP decline in brackets this year.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:32 am

fisticuffs wrote:Pretty sure they have my number already too. They want me to take an extra step to allow them to advertise to it. I can then take another step and cancel that authorization after the fact but guess what? There are lots of places to fill out a bracket on the interwebs. I'm guessing Yahoo will see a STEEP decline in brackets this year.

Any idea if they required that same info for the Quicken Loans $1 billion challenge?

I don't think this applies to Yahoo fantasy leagues, by the way(or at least it didn't a few weeks ago when I registered).
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:48 am

Shorty wrote:wallrock, not sure why your password didn't work. It worked for fennel and me. Did you use all lowercase letters? The right ID#?

group ID: 183316
password: isthmus

Fisty, you played last year so yahoo sends you an email or text this year. Is that a big problem?

Yeah, still fucked up. It got to the point where I thought, "Hey, maybe after all these years I've been spelling isthmus incorrectly."
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Yahoo March madness contest

Postby Shorty » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:51 pm

Due to wallrock's login problems and others' concerns about giving Yahoo your mobile number, I created another group for us at ESPN. Please join if you want to play:

http://games.espn.go.com/tournament-cha ... mail-tcmen

Group: 64teams
Password: madness

fisticuffs wrote:Pretty sure they have my number already too. They want me to take an extra step to allow them to advertise to it. I can then take another step and cancel that authorization after the fact but guess what? There are lots of places to fill out a bracket on the interwebs. I'm guessing Yahoo will see a STEEP decline in brackets this year.

Not sure what you are concerned about. Yahoo says the purpose of asking for your mobile is "If you ever forget your password or username, Yahoo can help you get back into your account by using this phone number." Do you think they will publish it somewhere or use it for spam? I doubt they would do that but if you are concerned you could give them a google text number like I suggested.
I'm starting a new thread for the ESPN contest so it isn't buried here.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Yahoo March madness contest

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:54 pm

Shorty wrote:Do you think they will publish it somewhere or use it for spam?

Right on the "enter your mobile number" page, there's the fine print that indicates you consent to receive promotional texts and other messages from Yahoo and/or maybe Yahoo's partners (that last part, I don't remember for sure).
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:26 pm

I don't see any fine print about consent to receive promotional texts and other, or anything at all. All I see is "If you ever forget your password or username, Yahoo can help you get back into your account by using this phone number."
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking