MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Charter TV going all digital

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Charter TV going all digital

Postby Shorty » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:39 pm

Do you have the box? If not you will need one.

http://host.madison.com/business/charte ... 9f9cb.html
"Charter Communications is switching all of its Madison area customers to digital only, starting in mid-March. It means that to watch any cable TV channel, the television you want to use will have to be equipped with a digital set-top box issued by Charter. The boxes translate the encrypted television signals...

“About 90 percent of our customers already have at least one (box). Our focus now is that every customer is covered and that they have their secondary TVs covered, as well,” Haas said.
Each set-top box costs $6.99 a month — on top of the fee for subscribing to cable television. Charter said it will waive the charge for at least one new box for at least one year for all current customers. Digital video recorder (DVR) boxes are not included in the fee waiver."
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Charter TV going all digital

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:50 pm

Shorty wrote:Each set-top box costs $6.99 a month — on top of the fee for subscribing to cable television.

Note that if you have an old box you're already paying this. It's just the cost for each box.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:33 am

I expect very few people will have those boxes. A DVR is not that much more to rent, and it adds tremendous value to a tv subscription you already pay a lot for.

BTW, we will soon have Aereo as an option to charter TV, and that includes a simple DVR in the cloud.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:50 pm

Huckleby wrote:I expect very few people will have those boxes. A DVR is not that much more to rent, and it adds tremendous value to a tv subscription you already pay a lot for.

BTW, we will soon have Aereo as an option to charter TV, and that includes a simple DVR in the cloud.

Aereo is for local broadcast channels only.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:03 pm

This will finally, I think, be the point at which I keep internet but ditch cable tv. I have a couple sets around that don't have boxes and it just isn't worth getting them for those (an old analog tv in the basement for during tornado season, for example).
I have been ready to pull the trigger on going internet only for a while now, so thanks, Charter, for helping me decide finally!
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:38 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:Aereo is for local broadcast channels only.

Yes, generally true, altho they are adding on a couple channels in most markets. But for $9 month and ability to record channels, a super deal for people who have antenna problems or who want to cut the umbilical.

BTW, there is a chance that Supreme Court will blow Aereo out of water.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:42 pm

I see Obama administration is backing broadcasters against Aereo:
http://money.cnn.com/2014/03/04/technol ... reo-obama/

Well, the good news is the campaign coffers ought to be well stocked for Dems in 2014 and 2016.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:21 pm

Huckleby wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:Aereo is for local broadcast channels only.

Yes, generally true, altho they are adding on a couple channels in most markets. But for $9 month and ability to record channels, a super deal for people who have antenna problems or who want to cut the umbilical.

BTW, there is a chance that Supreme Court will blow Aereo out of water.

Ugh, true ... in my experience, digital receivers are a pain in the ass. I read a lot about Aereo when it first started up in NYC a year or two ago. It's very interesting, but I think it's very dangerous to base your whole business model around a quirk in the law that could be easily ammended.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:45 pm

I'm just happy that prostate exams have gone away from being "all digital."
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:46 pm

Dangerousman wrote:I'm just happy that prostate exams have gone away from being "all digital."

:rimshot:

pun intended
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:57 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:I'm just happy that prostate exams have gone away from being "all digital."

:rimshot:

pun intended

Here, use mine: http://instantrimshot.com/index.php?sound=rimshot
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:02 pm

Huckleby wrote:I expect very few people will have those boxes. A DVR is not that much more to rent, and it adds tremendous value to a tv subscription you already pay a lot for.

A DVR won't do it for Charter, as their digital boxes are required. They are programmed remotely by Charter to only allow the subscriber to see the channels they pay for.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:12 pm

the function of the digital box is included in DVR, don't need both.
DVR communicates with Charter too.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:20 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:I read a lot about Aereo when it first started up in NYC a year or two ago. It's very interesting, but I think it's very dangerous to base your whole business model around a quirk in the law that could be easily ammended.

My guess is that the antenna trick is just the first phase of Aereo's business plan. They want to grab market share, and become a leading content aggregator on the internet, the new cable company with a more attractive price structure. Over long term, they'll pay broadcasters and everyone else a slice.

But there are so many existing businesses enjoying high profits, from the NFL to the networks to the satellite/cable companies, that it seems like Aereo will somehow be strangled in the cradle. Goliath usually wins outside of the bible.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby msnflyer » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:07 pm

I don't have room for a box to service my kitchen TV! :evil:
But since 2 of my current Charter remotes have nonfunctioning volume controls, think I'll ask for replacements.
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Next

Return to TV