MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Fred Phelps: dead, Dead, DEAD

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Fred Phelps: dead, Dead, DEAD

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:20 pm

Described as the most hated man in America (I'd say the most hate-filled man), the preacher of Christian intolerance is finally gone for good.

Allen Ginsberg used to dance on Joe McCarthy's grave on the anniversity of his death. Maybe a similar tradition can commence a year from now on Fred's plot. That is, if he isn't interred in an unmarked grave.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Fred Phelps: dead, Dead, DEAD

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:24 pm

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:35 pm

i'd say he's pretty surprised about now . . . either the interrogation by st peter is still in progress or the ambient temperature in his immediate vicinity has started a rapid climb . . .
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:39 pm

No worries. This one definitely reincarnates as a gay guy. Maybe then he'll see it's no big deal after all.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:42 pm

Representatives of the WBC have stated that they don't "worship the dead" in their organization, which is an...odd...way to describe a fundamentalist Christian sect, but whatevs. Bottom line: no funeral to picket, perhaps no grave for those so inclined to dance upon.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:56 pm

I wonder if he is in heaven or hell.

Oddly enough, I suspect the former. I expect that the bar is set very low to begin with, stupidity indulgences are passed out freely. Merely meaning well is good enough to at least get you purgatory, early ascension with good behavior.

Or perhaps the devil has him. Just don't know what drove the man.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:07 pm

he started out in the civil rights movement -- i believe as a barrister he was associated with brown et al v the board of education of topeka and/or the second case a year later, so it is plausible he lost his marbles at some point. then w b c concentrated the prejudices of a nation where people can be persecuted for trying to be nice to other people by a process analagous to conservation of angular momentum into what it is today. so sort of what would happen if linda tripp ran the process church of the final judgement?
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:25 pm

Huckleby wrote:I wonder if he is in heaven or hell.

Oddly enough, I suspect the former.

I suspect that in this amoral universe he is not in either of those places.

If by some weird metaphysical fluke there was was an all-powerful and all-loving being, then all of its sentient creations would be rewarded with a heaven of some sort and the concept "hell" wouldn't even be given the slightest thought. A being that actually condemned less powerful beings to an eternity of suffering would not be an all-loving being, nor would it be worthy of worship. It would be the biggest and most cruel fucking bully imaginable, and nothing more.

That there is suffering in this life shows that if there is a supreme being, it is "supreme" in the manner of a "supreme pizza"--- a lot of goodies on board, but in the end it's just a pizza that was fun while it lasted, and you'll crap it out in a day or two when it's turned to shit. But if anything is out there, it truly is nothing that is both all-powerful and all-good. So enjoy the ride and enjoy your slice of pizza while you can. Once it's gone, that's it.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:28 pm

The best kind of afterlife for Fred Phelps is the most likely kind: total, permanent oblivion. And if he isn't going to remember himself, why should anyone else help?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:45 pm

snoqueen wrote:No worries. This one definitely reincarnates as a gay guy. Maybe then he'll see it's no big deal after all.

You're assuming he wasn't already.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:48 pm

Let me answer that for you Huck. Remember before you were born? That's where he and the rest of us are after we die. The only thing that bothers me about that is that the holier-than-thou types will never know how wrong they were.

The idea that there is some being that is interested in the minutiae of the lives of every single one of 7 billion of us, and our ancestors and descendants, and we are expected to take it on faith?

Yeah, how could anyone not believe that?
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:52 pm

gargantua wrote:The idea that there is some being that is interested in the minutiae of the lives of every single one of 7 billion of us, and our ancestors and descendants, and we are expected to take it on faith?

Well, there's the National Security Agency, and the National Reconnaissance Office...

Yes, that is the actual logo for one of their recent satellite missions...
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:48 am

Stebben84 wrote:Image

All these acid-heart progressives keep putting up these celebration of death screeds about Fred Phelps. What's the idea - god exists and he loves gay people?

I think people are stupid if they hate Fred Phelps, or like him. They're also dumb if they believe in the afterlife. They should just be sad that humans are born into this world, with all the unlimited potential that comes from being a member of the human race, and this is the kind of fucked up insanity they waste their lives on: 1. Being Fred Phelps 2. Hating Fred Phelps and 3. Liking Fred Phelps.

Stop using the fringe to make your hate mainstream.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:49 am

gargantua wrote:

Let me answer that for you Huck. Remember before you were born? That's where he and the rest of us are after we die. The only thing that bothers me about that is that the holier-than-thou types will never know how wrong they were.

This ^ .
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:56 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Described as the most hated man in America (I'd say the most hate-filled man), the preacher of Christian intolerance is finally gone for good.

Disambiguation: "Bad Man Is Gone - Horay."

The Fred Phelps's of the world are nothing more than crazies looking for an audience in lunatics like yourselves, who give him one.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines