MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Here's How NASA Thinks Society Will Collapse

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Here's How NASA Thinks Society Will Collapse

Postby Bludgeon » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:45 pm

And by NASA, I mean "NASA". What's the name of the science of conducting research to confirm biases? Oh yeah: devotional ideology:

"Two important features seem to appear across societies that have collapsed," reads the study. "The stretching of resources due to the strain placed on the ecological carrying capacity and the economic stratification of society into Elites and Masses."

In unequal societies, researchers said, "collapse is difficult to avoid.... Elites grow and consume too much, resulting in a famine among Commoners that eventually causes the collapse of society."

Thank the gods we have so many long standing, millennia-old "Equal Societies" to compare all the real, historical empires to. Let's not forget the 3,000 year old empire of "Equa-Stonia", which has stood as a beacon of fake harmony since 1,000 years before the calendar started.

Just look at those Equastonians now, with their same amount of everything for every same person. Maybe one day, we all can have the same amount of everything. "Hey, Same-Andy, how much pollen have you got? Forty-two grains! TUT, Same-Andy, you KNOW forty-one grains is the number of grains that we all will get or else you get Same-Cancer! - the Ministrry of Devotional Ideology conducted a study which confirms it!"

Moral: make sure you always have the same number of everything, or you will die. Don't take it from me though - take it from the Equastonians. Their fake 3,000 year empire is proof that this zany theory is the truth. So help me, new-age jesus.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Here's How NASA Thinks Society Will Collapse

Postby massimo » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:53 pm

If only it were 42 v. 41 and not more like 42,000,000 v. 41. I have to admit, though, I cocked an eyebrow when I saw NASA's name attached to this.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:03 pm

"In unequal societies, researchers said, "collapse is difficult to avoid.... Elites grow and consume too much, resulting in a famine among Commoners that eventually causes the collapse of society."

Which is exactly what is happening now with the 1% running amok.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:51 pm

Shorty wrote:"

Please provide the link proving that society is collapsing and the 1% are running amok. Thank you.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:14 am

Amok would be a great name for a company. Then when someone asks you what you've been up to, you could say, "just running Amok."
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:59 am

gargantua wrote:Please provide the link proving that society is collapsing and the 1% are running amok. Thank you.

Hillary vs. Jeb in 2016.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:18 pm

Shorty wrote:"In unequal societies, researchers said, "collapse is difficult to avoid.... Elites grow and consume too much, resulting in a famine among Commoners that eventually causes the collapse of society."

Yeah but it's not. Starvation is not rampant in America and the average poor person is light years ahead of the average poor person of even 100 years ago. Billionaires having billions does not mean you go to bed hungry at night.

Now third-world countries are a different matter. Overpopulation and a tenuous food supply IS a threat. But dumping more money isn't a solution ... it's a far more complex problem.

Also, Rome did not collapse because of "income inequality." They collapsed because of an empire that was unsustainable, an overstretched military (allowing barbarians to sneak in) and possibly lead pipes.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:22 pm

When did NASA, you know, stop exploring space?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:14 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Amok would be a great name for a company. Then when someone asks you what you've been up to, you could say, "just running Amok."

If they called company parties "Amok Time" , that would be fascinating.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:35 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:Yeah but it's not. Starvation is not rampant in America and the average poor person is light years ahead of the average poor person of even 100 years ago. Billionaires having billions does not mean you go to bed hungry at night.

Now third-world countries are a different matter. Overpopulation and a tenuous food supply IS a threat. But dumping more money isn't a solution ... it's a far more complex problem.

Also, Rome did not collapse because of "income inequality." They collapsed because of an empire that was unsustainable, an overstretched military (allowing barbarians to sneak in) and possibly lead pipes.

This post was so correct, it just painted the contrast for me, between people who know and understand history and people who just look at a study like that and accept it at face value. Somewhere in town right now some sanctimonious snob at a coffee shop is saying, "And I read in an article the other day, NASA is saying..."

I don't get how they can not know; assuming that they read and retained any of the materials available to them from grade school to college, where did the information go?
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines