MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Rudolph Randa

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Rudolph Randa

Postby Shorty » Mon May 12, 2014 8:59 pm

What a swell guy this Randa is.

Meet The Republican Judge Fighting To Bail Scott Walker Out Of A Criminal Investigation
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/0 ... stigation/

He reminds me of a Sith Lord:
https://images.search.yahoo.com/images/ ... r=fptb-tyc
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Rudolph Randa

Postby Shorty » Tue May 13, 2014 8:57 pm

Interesting comparison of Judges Adelman and Randa.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolit ... 83561.html
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue May 27, 2014 6:23 pm

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby you must be joking » Tue May 27, 2014 6:31 pm

Has anyone read his decision? Do you know what points of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights he based his decision on? Do you know what prior case law he referred to?

Point is that if you are going to disparage someone, anyone for their decisions at least you should come up with a cogent argument that points to the inadequacies of their argument. Otherwise all you are left with is sounding like the village fool.
you must be joking
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Tue May 27, 2014 8:23 pm

We shouldn't question the partiality of a federal judge with documented evidenced unless we're fully versed in constitutional law.

How on earth can you understand what he was doing at a Koch Brothers junket if you haven't memorized the constitution, BoR, and all relevant precedent cases involving either?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue May 27, 2014 8:57 pm

Not a smoking gun per say, but close enough. I have read he decision and actually think he is on sound legal ground (except for destroying the evidence) but judges are supposed to maintain a image of impartiality. This kind of conference does not do that.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Tue May 27, 2014 9:08 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Not a smoking gun per say, but close enough. I have read he decision and actually think he is on sound legal ground (except for destroying the evidence) but judges are supposed to maintain a image of impartiality. This kind of conference does not do that.

Very well put.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu May 29, 2014 3:34 pm

More on Randa's conflict of interest:

“He never should have allowed himself to be involved in that case,” said Monroe Freedman, a Hofstra Law School professor and judicial ethics expert, of Randa.
Freeman, the Hofstra law professor, said that federal law requires that a judge step down from a case in which the judge’s gifts connect the judge with the parties to a case before him.

“The statute is self-executing,” said Freedman. “It doesn’t depend on somebody asking him or making a motion that he recuse himself, he has to do that automatically. What should happen is that his decision should be vacated and the case be returned for proceedings before another judge.”
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu May 29, 2014 5:11 pm

Nice and fairly balanced article Henry. Looks like the Cap times found ethics experts who weren't as solidly against Randa's involvement.

“Many of us who work in the area of legal and judicial ethics are not entirely comfortable with transparency as the solution to the apparent conflicts these events may create,” said Stephen Gillers, a legal expert at New York University, in an email to The Capital Times. “There is a strong interest in judicial education, of course, which argues in their favor. On the other hand, the value of the trips, often to luxury venues at optimal times of the year, is disturbing. Further, individuals and organizations with interests opposed to the affluent funders of the seminars are not able to stage equivalent events for judges.”
He said the parties in the case could press for the judge’s recusal, but “I am not aware of any case in which a motion to recuse on that basis has succeeded.”

Charles Gardner, an Indiana University law professor who specializes in ethics, said that a reasonable person likely wouldn’t question Randa’s impartiality just because a “third party” funded both George Mason and a party in the court case.
“Hundreds if not thousands of judges have attended expense-paid seminars at George Mason over the years, and if one of those judges had a case before him on a topic relevant to a seminar he attended at George Mason that was underwritten by a party now before him,” there might be more of a cause for concern, he said in an email to The Capital Times.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu May 29, 2014 7:10 pm

What the hell is "judicial education?" Why do judges need education from the Koch brothers?

I know everybody needs to keep up with developments in their field, but this sounds more like indoctrination. If I were a judge trying to keep up with developments in a particular area I'd look to attend seminars with other judges, with lawyers who have in depth knowledge of pertinent issues and the law, with business and governmental representatives who have been party to such cases, and the like.

Not to a giant lobbying octopus well known for pushing a single political agenda.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 30, 2014 9:38 am

Randa has proven himself to be a political hack. The federal appeals summary reversal of his decision in the Georgia Thompson case amply demonstrated that fact. Yet our resident apologist for his actions continues his pro bono defense of that rigid ideologue.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri May 30, 2014 10:26 am

And Henry knows what it takes to be a political hack

Since you've claimed I'm an apologist before, I'm assuming that lame attack is aimed at me. However I am in no way apologizing for Randa's involvement in those junkets, some of the law professionals in the article you linked are.

Sno, I'm not sure what the hell a Judicial Education junket is. I'd like more information about what goes on there before I condemn them outright but the fact that politically motivated groups are funding them, and they are taking place in pretty swank locations doesn't speak to the practice being one that should be encouraged.

On the other hand some of the experts in that article seem to think that just participating in one doesn't require Randa excusing themselves. Since they probably know more about ethical theory then our resident political hack, I'm inclined to judge his current decision on it's merits rather than ad hominem attacks.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Fri May 30, 2014 10:43 am

Kind of reminds me of the old Pharmaceutical days.

My brother is a family practice doctor. Back in the 90s the drug companies would fly doctors out for training seminars that basically taught about the new drug they were releasing. 4 days in "YOU NAME THE SPOT YOU WANT TO GO TO" all expenses paid and then hopefully when your patient need a drug you would prescribe the drug from the company that hosted you.

My brother would be in Key West, Lake Tahoe, one time in Banff up in Canada. After a while the medical community got such a bad reputation about being linked to drug companies that new "rules" were put in place to curb the practice.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri May 30, 2014 10:51 am

HawkHead wrote:After a while the medical community got such a bad reputation about being linked to drug companies that new "rules" were put in place to curb the practice.

By who? Did the government do it or did the doctors "regulate" themselves?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Fri May 30, 2014 11:09 am

rabble wrote:
HawkHead wrote:After a while the medical community got such a bad reputation about being linked to drug companies that new "rules" were put in place to curb the practice.

By who? Did the government do it or did the doctors "regulate" themselves?

I believe the doctors took it upon themselves as part of their continuing professional education requirements.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government