MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, October 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 43.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Walker wants a single payer health system for state workers

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Walker wants a single payer health system for state workers

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed May 28, 2014 7:46 am

Walker is pushing for the state to go self-insured and getting rid of HMOs for state employee's health coverage. I wonder what the the limits to that proposed change would be, as well as premiums and co-pays. The devil is in the details.

Wisconsin looking again at self-insuring state workers
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Walker wants a single payer health system for state work

Postby gargantua » Wed May 28, 2014 11:30 am

I'm sure "benefit the employees" is the lowest priority. Never thought I'd be in the same side of an issue as the insurance industry, but hell has indeed frozen over.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Wed May 28, 2014 7:12 pm

I just bet it means state employees will be paying more and getting less.
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed May 28, 2014 7:47 pm

Why doesn't Walker just fire all State employees and put them out on the streets? That seems to be his ultimate goal. I guess he prefers all this picking away at them so he can see them suffer slowly.

We don't need no gub'nent workers and services. And schoolin' is over rated. The Wild West was fun.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed May 28, 2014 9:13 pm

Steve Vokers wrote:I just bet it means state employees will be paying more and getting less.

I suspect that's just what will happen at first. Think bigger. I think he's laying the groundwork for eventually discontinuing health insurance as a state benefit.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu May 29, 2014 12:02 am

The devil can be found in everyone looking to privitize whatever.
OB couldn't put on his 'walking shoes'.
I am having more & more difficulty marking a functional difference between what powers the likes of BO & SKW.
Letting the VA slide just keeps the suck coming.
Simple take - egregious consequences for most.
Perceived entitlements of the few have a tendency to convince us otherwise.
I fear those who will not recognize how their success in profit & power undermine the culture(s) that sustain this 'advantage'.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:10 am

Mad Howler wrote:The devil can be found in everyone looking to privitize whatever.
OB couldn't put on his 'walking shoes'.
I am having more & more difficulty marking a functional difference between what powers the likes of BO & SKW.

they both want more power for themselves and their cronies. the case of s k w is prima facie and oft discussed here; president obama knew that government insurance in the canadian, or much better, austrian model would give him much less power over people than the coercive monstrosity that his people cobbled together. i happen to agree with the right, the left, and senior citizens about it. the status quo, of course, set up the insurance companies as partial antagonists, and he couldn't have that, either. fuck both those bitching motherfuckers.

one could wax foucauldian and say that everyone wants more power, but that is a thread for another day and the point here is that those two are hypocrites and corrupt public officials. i have an iron stomach for corruption, but taking away people's health care and pain killers really burns me up. just thinking about it makes me need another charge of dilaudid right up the mainline . . . here we go . . . . . holy fuck! night night . . .
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:53 pm

I don't think this is a big story, most large organizations self-insure. They still have insurance companies in the mix processing claims, but the large company or organization reimburses. If it works well for large corps, it probably ought to work for state.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sadiekat » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:13 pm

huckleby is right, the only real change is in the funding mechanism. Instead of paying for a policy that insurers may or may not get the true value out of, self-insured companies pay only for the services that their employees actually consume. The real tragedy is buying unnecessary insurance policies and generating profit for the plans and their shareholders at the expense of the taxpayers. The savings in self funding, and they can be quite considerable, can be put toward better benefits, lower out of pocket costs or can be returned to the taxpayers via lower overall costs. What about heart attacks, strokes and preemies, you ask? That's what a stop loss policy is for.

The biggest loser in this scenario would be the for profit insurers that would see a drop in covered lives and premium revenues.
sadiekat

Postby HotPepper » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:53 pm

You guys are forgetting one very important point. Years ago it was determined it was less expensive and more efficient to provide health insurance coverage for State employees than it was to compensate them with wages. Therefore, the raises for years have lagged behind the private sector because State workers had a good health insurance package. As a State worker I considered that a very good deal even though many times our annual increases amounted to zero to 2% (rarely at that level). Less cost to the State in payroll and a nice perk for the employee. Now all that has changed since Act 10. No one to represent employees so the State can and will do whatever they wish. I just hope the HMO's have a strong lobby group because they will lose a ton of business with the State and the Unions can't do anything to make legislators listen.
HotPepper

Postby Huckleby » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:12 pm

HotPepper wrote: Now all that has changed since Act 10. No one to represent employees so the State can and will do whatever they wish. I just hope the HMO's have a strong lobby group

I would expect the new insurance options to be better than an HMO.

But who knows ....... keep your powder dry till you see details.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:46 pm

Self insuring has always meant the entity has a vested interest in not hiring anybody who would cost them money- because the cost is so direct.
It's kind of a 'heaven help' anybody with pre-existing conditions, with ill family members, any potential expenses.
Remember stories of people being fired because they were diagnosed with cancer?
The affordable care act prohibits excluding people for these reasons-If the state self-insures is the state covered by the same contingencies that cover insurance companies?
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:55 pm

peripat wrote:If the state self-insures is the state covered by the same contingencies that cover insurance companies?

Shouldn't matter, their employees are still covered by HIPAA laws.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HotPepper » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:42 pm

Huckleby wrote:
HotPepper wrote: Now all that has changed since Act 10. No one to represent employees so the State can and will do whatever they wish. I just hope the HMO's have a strong lobby group

I would expect the new insurance options to be better than an HMO.

But who knows ....... keep your powder dry till you see details.

Keep my powder dry..? The HMO's are working hard to create more and impressive employee wellness features so they see the writing on the wall. What I will say is that in my line of work I am looking for options outside State government since they no longer express value in the work I and many do for the State. I love my job but I am working for my future. Demoralizing State employees and crushing their union rights might make some feel pretty smug but consider the cost to your services and if the forces feel it appropriate for State workers it's not a big leap to think those in charge think it also appropriate for all workers.
HotPepper

Postby gargantua » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:11 pm

Huckleby wrote:I would expect the new insurance options to be better than an HMO.

While Scott Walker is governor? You're kidding, right?
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government