MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, January 27, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Where can I bus to from Madison?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Where can I bus to from Madison?

Postby zeropoint » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:15 am

I'd like to take a little trip, but I don't drive. I have already checked routes for Megabus, Van Galder, and Badger Bus. I just spent time on Greyhound's website but after trying a handful of different destination cities, I was unable to find anything available. I am open to suggestions about places to visit; mostly I just want to take a little break.

Aside from the options I've already listed, can anyone think of someplace nice I can get to via bus without a ton of hassle?
zeropoint

Re: Where can I bus to from Madison?

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:01 pm

The best bus trip I ever took was to Washington Island via Greyhound (1975 Memorial weekend, I think) I was met by a friend at the depot and we drove to the ferry to the island. Friends had rented a cottage. We went horseback riding, hiking and picked wild strawberries for flapjacks.

After that, any train trip to anywhere.

Or my favorite stay-cation: get a nice hotel room downtown, eat out at favorites, see a movie, visit art galleries and window shop.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Broadsheet » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:34 pm

This isn't exactly what you're talking about, but there are day trips by bus and other tours advertised in the Sunday travel section of the State Journal. If you're over 55, the Theater Bus goes to a variety of cities and not all trips involve theaters. Prices look reasonable. http://theaterbus.org/Documents/MayJune14.pdf

I'll bet there are buses or organized tours to places like Galena, Ill., where there are walking attractions and B&Bs.
Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:41 pm

Take the Megabus to Chicago and you can pretty much go anywhere from there. Type Chicago as your origin and then check out all the destination cities.

I rode the Megabus once to MN and they had to stop the bus on the freeway to stop a fight from breaking out. Keep in mind it's not total luxury, but it's pretty damn cheep compared to Greyhound.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:11 pm

zeropoint wrote:I am open to suggestions about places to visit; mostly I just want to take a little break.

What do you like to do, how far do you want to go, and how much are you able to spend?

I've traveled to Milwaukee to pick up Amtrak once or twice a year for something like two decades now. Last summer I was planning to travel light so I carved out a few hours to wander from the Badger Bus Station over to the Art Museum and then back to the Public Market and Amtrak. Saw a spectacular rainstorm and basically had the most enjoyable time I've had in years (except for the luggage -- "light" still wasn't light enough). I've been thinking about going for a day trip some weekend.

The Milwaukee Amtrak Station became the Milwaukee Intermodal Station a few years back. I see bus passengers waiting there all the time; there seems to be regular service to Green Bay and the Fox River Valley, not sure which bus companies but I'm thinking Lamers or Coach USA. From the schedule on their website it looks like Coach USA http://www.coachusa.com/ss.tickets.asp goes all over eastern Wisconsin (but not Green Bay... hmmm...) . Not finding a schedule on the Lamers site http://www.golamers.com/services/ but they do advertise special event buses for EAA, if that's something you would want to do, or for Green Bay Packers games...

Maybe the trick would be to decide where you want to go first, and then ask someone there how to get to it? Just a thought.
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:35 pm

MSCR (Madison School Recreation Program) has bus trips. Sometimes they're on relatively short notice. One recently was to an art convention in Milwaukee, if I remember right, and I think it was so popular they took two buses.

http://mscr.org/our-programs/trips-special-events

That link goes to their general page with a list of some recent-past trips, but I can't find a page with upcoming trips. The link does give an email where you can write with questions.

These trips are usually quite affordable.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:29 pm

I took the Greyhound with my grandmother to the East Coast one Thanksgiving. My God, what a nightmare.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:50 pm

snoqueen wrote:MSCR (Madison School Recreation Program) has bus trips. Sometimes they're on relatively short notice. One recently was to an art convention in Milwaukee, if I remember right, and I think it was so popular they took two buses.

http://mscr.org/our-programs/trips-special-events

That link goes to their general page with a list of some recent-past trips, but I can't find a page with upcoming trips. The link does give an email where you can write with questions. These trips are usually quite affordable.

Pg 33 of their Summer guide has the bus trips. The only two don't sound much fun:

http://mscr.org/images/PDFs/program-gui ... mGuide.pdf

CERAMIC GALLERY EXPO, MILWAUKEE, WISCONSIN

BREWERY TOUR, SOUTHWEST WISCONSIN
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:40 pm

Why does a brewery tour sound not fun, especially when somebody else is driving?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:56 pm

Alchemy's running a bus out to the Shitty Barn several times in the next couple months.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:46 pm

snoqueen wrote:Why does a brewery tour sound not fun, especially when somebody else is driving?

I don't drink beer so don't have much interest in a brewery tour. But yes taking the bus afterwards would be better than driving if you drink their samples.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe