MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

World Cup viewing?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

World Cup viewing?

Postby jammybastard » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:06 pm

Where's everybody going?
Screw St. Street Brats.
Gimme a real place to go!
I know Hawk's, but where else?
Out of downtown?
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Re: World Cup viewing?

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:33 pm

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... b74af6edfc

As four weeks of World Cup 2014 matches are screened at locations across Madison, most of the broadcasts will be in English. Several spots will go with Spanish commentary, of course. UW-Madison, though, will be screening much of the tournament in around a dozen languages, representing most of the 32 participating nations.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:49 pm

Pretty disappointing first match. A sloppy own goal, a weak, poorly struck equalizer, a scandalously bad call to award the penalty kick, and many other gifts given by the referee to a disorganized and seemingly overwhelmed Brazilian squad.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby grumpybear » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:15 pm

jammybastard wrote:Where's everybody going?
Screw St. Street Brats.
Gimme a real place to go!
I know Hawk's, but where else?
Out of downtown?

I didn't watch today's game but tomorrow I'm going for a twofer, Spain v Netherlands and Chile v Australia. I'm going to see what the Atwood brewpubs are like for a soccer atmosphere. I'll try One Barrel first and Next Dorr Brewing for the send match.
Ramble On!
grumpybear

Postby doppel » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:25 pm

Is the score still nil-nil in overtime?
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby grumpybear » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:22 pm

doppel wrote:Is the score still nil-nil in overtime?

They don't have overtime in real football. They have extra time. Nice try with the Britishism "nil-nil".
P.S. Piss off.
grumpybear

Postby massimo » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:02 pm

This has been really hard to watch so far. That joke of a first match, and now with Mexico having been robbed of two goals in the first half of today's match.

So the games have been awful, but the commercials are also driving me up the wall. So much generic, multicultural PASSION, as if to teach us how to feel, no, REALLY FEEL when we watch the game. The same irritation I feel when I've attended MLS games and there's that one section that dances and chants for 90 minutes. That's not how we do it in 'murrica.

Having said that, I reeallly wish American baseball crowds would take their cue from the Japanese. All the chanting and drums, cool as hell. Fight songs! For baseball teams!
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:47 am

So are any of the games on network TV or HuluPlus or AmazonPrime or anything like that? We have a tv antenna and an internet connection but no cable tv.
Just the bars?
Dairylander
Forum Addict

Postby grumpybear » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:27 am

Switzerland vs. Ecuador is on channel 27 right now. Yesterday's afternoon match between Uruguay and Costa Rica was also on free tv. Most of the other games are on ESPN or ESPN. Not sure if can watch on internet.
By the way, Uruguay against Costa Rica was a very good match. Much more interesting than some of the matches between the big names such as Italy vs. England. IMHO
grumpybear

Postby CapFox » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:35 pm

First, the tournament has been great since Thursday. No ties, lots of goals and plenty of great play. It's a great year to be in the same timezone as the championship.

Second, there are no decent places to watch the World Cup around here, mainly because you have to sit next to soccer guy at each place. You know this guy. He's the guy who knows more than you do about not just soccer, but the world. And he likes to talk about it. A lot.

The best soccer bar is the bar where they turn up the volume on the TV so loud that Ian Darke's brilliant commentary completely drowns out soccer guy's "look at how much I know about soccer" bullshit.
CapFox

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:40 pm

Milwaukee has quite a good selection of bars to chose from if you don't mind a drive. I never got the impression that Madison as a town took much interest in Soccer (as compared to Milwaukee).
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:53 pm

I did read the US School of Education was showing games in the native language for both teams playing (in separate rooms, of course.)
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:21 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:(in separate rooms, of course.)

Well that's no fun
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe