MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 17.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Lois Lerner's Lost Emails

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Lois Lerner's Lost Emails

Postby Sandi » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:37 pm

This has to be total BS

Washington, DC – Today, Ways and Means Committee Chairman Dave Camp (R-MI) issued the following statement regarding the Internal Revenue Service informing the Committee that they have lost Lois Lerner emails from a period of January 2009 – April 2011. Due to a supposed computer crash, the agency only has Lerner emails to and from other IRS employees during this time frame. The IRS claims it cannot produce emails written only to or from Lerner and outside agencies or groups, such as the White House, Treasury, Department of Justice, FEC, or Democrat offices.

Wow, a computer crash that only deleted Lerner's external emails, and none that were internal.

For starters, government email servers are backed up nightly, so the most that would be lost would be the emails from one day: not two years.

This claim doesn't pass the smell test.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Lois Lerner's Lost Emails

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:45 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:26 pm

Sandi wrote:...Wow, a computer crash that only deleted Lerner's external emails, and none that were internal.

For starters, government email servers are backed up nightly, so the most that would be lost would be the emails from one day: not two years.

This claim doesn't pass the smell test.

I don't know. I'm not an expert on how the IRS email system works, and I bet you aren't either. Maybe she pulled a Walker, and put in a completely separate email system, and illegally coordinated with people outside the agency. Hey, isn't that her and their right under the First Amendment? Isn't that the claim of Walker's supporters?

There seems to be selective outrage on the right about political dirty tricks, if this was a dirty trick. In reality, IRS had the duty to look into these righty tax scams, and they were actually also looking into the same sort of groups on the left.

Here's an idea. Lerner left her position with IRS. Shouldn't Walker be forced out as well? Let's see Walker be as honest and forthright as Lerner, and resign.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:07 pm

Donald wrote:I don't know. I'm not an expert on how the IRS email system works, and I bet you aren't either. Maybe she pulled a Walker, and put in a completely separate email system, and illegally coordinated with people outside the agency. Hey, isn't that her and their right under the First Amendment? Isn't that the claim of Walker's supporters?

You or I do not have to be an expert, the IRS's manual on “Managing Electronic Records” is public; and can be read here.

1.15.6.10 (03-27-2014)
Transfer Media and Formats for Permanent Records

The legal requirements for the transfer of permanent records to NARA are documented in 36 CFR 1235 and set forth in general form in the paragraphs below. Consult the IRS RIM Program Office for more detailed instructions and guidance on the transfer for permanent IRS records.

1.15.6.10.1 (06-01-2010)
Magnetic Tape

IRS offices may transfer electronic records to NARA on magnetic tape using either open-reel magnetic tape or tape cartridges. Open-reel tape should be on 1/2 inch 9-track tape reels recorded at 1600 or 6250 bytes per inch and blocked no higher than 32,760 bytes per block. Tape cartridges should be 18-track 3480-class cartridges recorded at 37,871 bpi and blocked at no more than 32,760 bytes per block.

At the direction of a management official as to what is considered a record, the E-mail/Systems Administrators will establish procedures for regular recopying, reformatting, and other necessary maintenance to ensure the retention and usability of electronic records throughout their authorized life cycle.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby exegene » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:12 pm

Donald wrote:There seems to be selective outrage on the right about political dirty tricks, if this was a dirty trick.

Speaking of selective outrage! You can find a perfect illustration at Lakeside Press on Willy. (I should also say i'm glad the place is there and i bring all my printing needs to them.) The place is covered in posters, inside and out. You'll find (iirc) a poster of Walker looking dumb and attached to marionette strings, a poster of a dirty, hungry looking girl saying "...rich men...need our food stamps." Etc. etc. etc. Just how many of the some dozens of posters do you think target a democrat politician, present or past? Is there a copy of eg the Obama [s]Hope[/s] Obey poster? http://media.tumblr.com/a244f2ac6a33b3f ... s17y4x.gif

No! Every last ounce of moral outrage and mortal fear evaporates in the absence of an (R)!

So when Sandi posts a link to some stinky, stinky, realpolitik-meets-campaign-finance-reform business TDP manages a collective "meh, the deniability is plausible enough for me. Would ya take a listen to them crickets?". If i didn't know any better, i might believe you were a bunch of useful idiots. I might even believe that when you turn off your critical thinking skills for eight years at a time it's because you're /trying/ to get "the other side" to think of you as lazy, corrupt, wrong-headed. And can't you see how useful your relative complacency can be to the Fox/Republican world of rhetoric when they're in their Lewinski-Benghazi mode?

Shame on you, Madison.
exegene

Postby Sandi » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:52 pm

exegene wrote:So when Sandi posts a link to some stinky, stinky, realpolitik-meets-campaign-finance-reform business TDP manages a collective "meh, the deniability is plausible enough for me.

It must be nice to just believe whatever strikes your bias and disregard the facts that don't fit. You would make a top notch government climate scientist.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby grumpybear » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:16 pm

Sandi wrote:
exegene wrote:So when Sandi posts a link to some stinky, stinky, realpolitik-meets-campaign-finance-reform business TDP manages a collective "meh, the deniability is plausible enough for me.

It must be nice to just believe whatever strikes your bias and disregard the facts that don't fit. You would make a top notch government climate scientist.

You know, the poster basically agreed with you on everything but still you replied with a cranky response. Do you even read the TDP or are you a bot?
grumpybear

Postby Mad Howler » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:46 pm

grumpybear wrote:
Sandi wrote:

You know, the poster basically agreed with you on everything but still you replied with a cranky response. Do you even read the TDP or are you a bot?

Nice job exe.
Nice job grump.
Sandi would do an even nicer job calling out baloney when he/she figures out this forum needs not be adversarial.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:03 pm

grumpybear wrote:You know, the poster basically agreed with you on everything but still you replied with a cranky response. Do you even read the TDP or are you a bot?

It wasn't agreement or disagreement that I responded to. It was the childish petulance.

Mad Howler wrote:Nice job exe.
Nice job grump.
Sandi would do an even nicer job calling out baloney when he/she figures out this forum needs not be adversarial.

When on a forum with the likes of exegene, grumpybear and you, that cannot be anything but adversarial, what choice is there?

Except of course on topics started by the progressives where most of you agree. Otherwise trollish behavior reigns.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:09 pm

This topic does not belong in the Local thread, so I refuse to comment on it.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:11 pm

This is beyond weird. Sandi, do you still not realize that exegene was AGREEING with you?

I think the lost e-mails thing stinks to high heaven. How convenient, like an 18 1/2 minute gap in the Nixon tapes. That was accidental too, right fellow Forons?
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:09 pm

I think the emails will turn up. Just about everything digital does, sooner or later.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:44 pm

Sandi wrote:When on a forum with the likes of exegene, grumpybear and you, that cannot be anything but adversarial, what choice is there?

Except of course on topics started by the progressives where most of you agree. Otherwise trollish behavior reigns.

Moi???!
:wtf: :clap: :lol:
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:28 pm

DCB wrote:This topic does not belong in the Local thread, so I refuse to comment on it.

Good point. However as this forum is completely without admin or moderators ( the insane running the asylum ), it cannot be fixed.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:12 pm

Somebody who actually knows what they're talking about weighs in.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government