MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
canoe rack
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 72.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Hope everyone stayed safe last night

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Hope everyone stayed safe last night

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:33 am

Looks like Dane county got slammed pretty hard.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Hope everyone stayed safe last night

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:54 am

Slept through it all. I assume sirens went off in my neighborhood because I'm not that far from the Willy Street neighborhood that got hit. Saw a couple photos and there were a lot of trees down and the bus didn't go down Jenifer Street this morning.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:09 am

Got woke up by the sirens twice last night. Second time I flipped on the TV and heard them mentioning streets near me as being in the path, so we grabbed the kids and headed for the basement.

Fortunately no damage at our place. When I complained about the loss of sleep, my wife reminded me to be thankful that we still have a roof. She's right, of course...
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:55 am

Nothing like trying to get the latest info off of broadcast TV....during severe weather.

"Reports of a pos_____ ______do in the sho______ area. Residents sho__ __ke cover im________."

Strange scattered damage areas on the east side. Yahara Place Park sounds like a mess and saw some damaged trees in Olbrich park, but at our place just west of the Goodman Center there was hardly any wind.

I remember frequent storms like this on the isthmus when I was growing up. It seemed like we lost BIG trees every summer in these parts. Of course there were a lot more big trees to catch a freak gust and topple over in those days too.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:36 am

Near west side....we heard two siren warnings also. My wife's cell phone alert woke us up the second time. Although I really hadn't quite gotten to sleep from the first alert.

Switched back and forth between 15 and 3....both telecasts seemed sort of chaotic. On 3, Karin was describing things she was seeing on her laptop, which would have been much more helpful if it had anything to do with the image they were broadcasting.

Oh, and damage on "Whitney Way south of Shorewood?". I live a mile south of Shorewood and 2 blocks east of Whitney Way. Schroeder Road is STILL more than 2 miles south of my place. Glad it was just a scare (for us), but that isn't exactly a model of precision.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:17 pm

Rode past a towering ash on Butler and Johnson this morning, half of it torn off and blocking the street. Thought I'd see more carnage further east on Johnson, but not too much.

A friend had a huge tree in his yard split off its trunk about 20 feet up. Part of it crashed through the upstairs apartments (no one was hurt), the rest totaled his new motorcycle.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:22 pm

gargantua wrote:Oh, and damage on "Whitney Way south of Shorewood?". I live a mile south of Shorewood and 2 blocks east of Whitney Way. Schroeder Road is STILL more than 2 miles south of my place. Glad it was just a scare (for us), but that isn't exactly a model of precision.

Yeah, that was the warning that sent us to the basement. Grrr...
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:34 pm

I guess I don't understand why a tornado less than 5 miles away isn't a cause for concern. Am I missing something? Don't tornadoes travel around 30-60mph?
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:51 pm

I had just gotten to sleep when the first one went off. I'm not one who seeks shelter unless I see an EF-5 just down the street. I generally would have gotten up and gone out on the deck to look for the funnel cloud, but I was too tired to care. "It's a good day (or was it early morning) to die," I thought.

My better half was frantic, had the flashlight out and pointed the goddamn thing in my eyes. A twenty year relationship just about ended right there. She calmed down, I nearly got back to sleep, and then the second siren went off. Repeat.

Anyway, we live in the area between Verona, where there was some damage, and the Schroeder Road area, where there was damage. It skipped right over us.
Last edited by Donald on Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:00 pm

Slept right through it.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:11 pm

Bland wrote:I guess I don't understand why a tornado less than 5 miles away isn't a cause for concern. Am I missing something? Don't tornadoes travel around 30-60mph?

It's not a cause for concern when it is moving away from you at 30-60 mph.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:25 pm

...but that isn't exactly a model of precision.

The warnings were due to radar observations alone, not visual confirmation. I think a predicted path even 5 miles wide is fairly precise, given the unpredictable nature of weather events such as this.

I was watching this thing bearing down on Dane County, and the area of rotation was evident (even to me!) on the radar images of the local TV station websites. The direction of travel was not exactly clear or consistent, and the area of rotation seemed to wax and wane. I think the meteorologists did a pretty good job with this one.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:30 pm

Are Epic and Willy St Coop ok?! God in heaven I hope so!! Is there anything else to be concerned about in Verona or the Isthmus?

Henry Vilas wrote:Slept right through it.

Me too, I didn't hear the siren.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:58 pm

Beaver wrote:Are Epic and Willy St Coop ok?!

They're gone. Completely swept away with an F5 tornado. The entire Epic campus vanished. It's kinda like the Twilight Zone.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:06 pm

narcoleptish wrote:
Strange scattered damage areas on the east side. Yahara Place Park sounds like a mess and saw some damaged trees in Olbrich park, but at our place just west of the Goodman Center there was hardly any wind.

Over here near Atwood/Cottage Grove Rd there was hardly any wind either. There weren't even a lot of twigs and leaves on the street in the morning. Weird storm.

I remember frequent storms like this on the isthmus when I was growing up. It seemed like we lost BIG trees every summer in these parts. Of course there were a lot more big trees to catch a freak gust and topple over in those days too.

Yep, there did seem to be a lot of Madison storms in the 70s and 80s. I don't know if it's less frequent now, or we just remember the biggies so vividly. I remember one in 72 where a big tree missed my parked car by about three feet, and I was SO disappointed. I needed the insurance money a lot more than I needed that beater. Oh, to be 25 again.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe