MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, February 1, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 9.0° F  Light Snow Blowing Snow and Breezy
Collapse Photo Bar

Doctors and hopsitals now spying on you

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Doctors and hopsitals now spying on you

Postby Sandi » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:34 pm

Doctor and hospitals will spy on your now. So far, unlike with cell phones they don't need a warrant.

You may soon get a call from your doctor if you’ve let your gym membership lapse, made a habit of picking up candy bars at the check-out counter or begin shopping at plus-sized stores.

That’s because some hospitals are starting to use detailed consumer data to create profiles on current and potential patients to identify those most likely to get sick, so the hospitals can intervene before they do.

Information compiled by data brokers from public records and credit card transactions can reveal where a person shops, the food they buy, and whether they smoke. The largest hospital chain in the Carolinas is plugging data for 2 million people into algorithms designed to identify high-risk patients, while Pennsylvania’s biggest system uses household and demographic data. Patients and their advocates, meanwhile, say they’re concerned that big data’s expansion into medical care will hurt the doctor-patient relationship and threaten privacy.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Doctors and hopsitals now spying on you

Postby gargantua » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:11 pm

I'm beginning to think the good ship Personal Privacy set sail long ago.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Gentle Man » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:29 am

gargantua wrote:I'm beginning to think the good ship Personal Privacy set sail long ago.

"A little learning is a dangerous thing" -- Alexander Pope

How would they know a person isn't just picking up a pack of cigs for Grandma? They wouldn't.

One of the best ways to counter some inteligence gathering, is to feed them misinformation causing them to question the reliability of the source and/or information itself.
Gentle Man
Forum Addict

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:36 am

I gave up an illusion that I wasn't being tracked when I got a credit card. The data has been there for years just not all in one place. Various entities have figured out how to combine all the data we generate and aggregate it into useful information. Sometimes in ways that are almost baffling in their interpretive ability.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Return to National Politics & Government