MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Northside Mechanic

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Northside Mechanic

Postby Ninja » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:21 pm

My normally reliable vehicle started to noticeably crap out on me on my way out of town for the weekend and I got it home but I'm not sure how much further it's going to make it. I know jack about cars but it sounds wheezy even after adding fresh gas so I assume it's something with the fuel pump or flux capacitor or myhoff lifters and it will require an actual mechanic to fix.

Is it the Shell station on Northport that does repairs or is there another place slipping under my radar? Whoever it is on Northport, do they have a good reputation? I was dumb enough to go to Car-X out of convience the last time I had an issue, even though I knew better, and I paid the price for that poor decision so I'd like to avoid it this time.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Northside Mechanic

Postby Ninja » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:26 pm

Fuck. They're probably not open on the fourth anyway, right? Are mechanics open on holidays? Should I just steal a car that works and ditch it at my destination?
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:01 pm

Not quite Northside, but ARA on E Wash treated me well.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:11 pm

Your best bet on the 4th would probably be something like Firestone or Sears. They are open on Saturdays and Sundays, so it might be worth a call, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:43 pm

Igor wrote:Your best bet on the 4th would probably be something like Firestone or Sears. They are open on Saturdays and Sundays, so it might be worth a call, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

You're probably right, but that sucks. I was at the High Noon last night for happy hour waiting for a friend and I overheard some kid say "Never go to the Firestone down by East Town," and then tell some horror story. Funny that the next day I find myself in need of a mechanic and that might be my only option.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:50 pm

They probably aren't open this weekend but if you need a north side mechanic later on, when I lived downtown I found Chet's Car Care on Aberg to be good:

http://chetscarcare.com/
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe