MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Fatties on Gold Wings

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Fatties on Gold Wings

Postby swimmingupstream » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:40 pm

What is up with all of these fatties riding around town on three-wheel Honda Gold Wings?

All of them have old couples with matching helmets with microphones. They also all have two small flags on the back of them. Usually an American flag and one of those dumb MIA-POW ones.

I take it they can't handle regular two wheel Gold Wings because the wives are double-wides?
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Re: Fatties on Gold Wings

Postby Ninja » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:51 pm

What is with those dudes? Two of them were riding on West Wash this afternoon and I almost hit one when he drifted into my lane (seriously, draw some lane lines on that street so people know there are two lanes - wtf is going on here) so I honked at him. He evidently took offense at that and followed me, then pulled up next to me at the red light on Park next to Meriter and shouted some shit at me. So I put it in park and got out to talk to him and he ran the red light. And his buddy behind us sat there on his bike with nothing to say. Punk poseurs from the look of things, but why so many of them?
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:03 am

Ninja, was he a fattie?
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby Ninja » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:28 am

swimmingupstream wrote:Ninja, was he a fattie?

He was hefty, and he was riding one of those three-wheeled Goldwing things, which is a total fat guy ride (his buddy was on a normal bike and very well might have been happy to ditch the dude). But that's not relevant to his behavior or the situation in general. Don't be such a hater. Let fatties be fat.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:15 am

Gold Wing convention in Madison

The Gold Wings motorcycle gathering, known as a “Wing Ding,” may not be what you picture when you hear the words “motorcycle rally.” Members aren’t clad in leather but in vests emblazoned with a mosaic of colorful patches and pins earned by attending rallies or completing safety classes. Their bikes aren’t growling “HOGs” but bulging, candy-colored cruisers — many of them on three wheels.
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:36 am

I thought this topic was going to be about Gold Wing guys smoking marijuana.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:04 pm

Ninja wrote:his buddy was on a normal bike

A normal bike, or a normal Gold Wing?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wino » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:01 pm

snoqueen wrote:I thought this topic was going to be about Gold Wing guys smoking marijuana.

Gold Wingers are more into cigars and single-malts.
Wino
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:09 pm

Wino wrote:
snoqueen wrote:I thought this topic was going to be about Gold Wing guys smoking marijuana.

Wingers have a lot of disposable income, so if they smoke pot it will be of a high enough grade that a New York nail will do. No need to roll them fat.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:45 am

swimmingupstream wrote:...and one of those dumb MIA-POW ones."
[italics added for emphasis, dumbass]

city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:47 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
Wino wrote:

Wingers have a lot of disposable income, so if they smoke pot it will be of a high enough grade that a New York nail will do. No need to roll them fat.

Yeah, but they're financially well off enough and their lungs are old and challenged enough that they don't like to draw on those pin-sized spliffs. Plus, smoking a fatty of good weed is an effective way of telling the rest of the world to "Fuck off, I've got mine!"
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:35 am

Those MIA-POW flags are dumb. We have been out of Vietnam for forty years now. Vietnam is now an open country that any one can visit and explore. When was the last time that a POW was discovered in Vietnam?

Those MIA-POW flags are just another example of how us Baby Boomers always try to shine the light on our generation's issues. In this case, non-issues.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby city2countrygal » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:26 pm

Do you really want to tell the family member of a POW/MIA soldier that their loss of a loved one is a non-issue?

Your ignorance is ass-toudning! The flag represents more than only Vietnam-era missing soldiers:

"It was created to examine the possibility that unaccounted for Americans might have survived in captivity after POW repatriations at Odessa in World War II, after Operation Big Switch in Korea in 1953, after Cold War incidents, and particularly after Operation Homecoming in Vietnam in 1973. It was created to ensure that accounting for missing Americans will be a matter of highest national priority, not only in word but in practice. It was created to encourage real cooperation from foreign governments. It was created, in short, to pursue the truth, at home and overseas."

Source: REPORT OF THE SELECT COMMITTEE ON POW/MIA AFFAIRS
UNITED STATES SENATE (1993) http://fas.org/irp/congress/1993_rpt/pow-exec.html

"Our people, and especially our POW/MIA families, have a right to know all that it is possible to know about the fate of their fellow countrymen and loved ones. This Committee, with strong public support, has pressed both our government and foreign governments to add to that knowledge--through the declassification of documents, response to hard questions, access to archives and eyewitness accounts. A process has been established that will permit timely, in-country investigations of evidence that live Americans remain in captivity. The search for remains and other evidence that could bring certainty to families is ongoing. More people are now employed and working full time on the POW/MIA issue than at any time since the end of the war, almost 20 years ago. America is finally being allowed to do what it should have been able to do long ago."
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:42 pm

She is just here to be a provocateur and is full of B.M. (pun intended).
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ted » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:31 pm

swimmingupstream wrote:What is up with all of these fatties riding around town on three-wheel Honda Gold Wings?

Maybe they're going somewhere....
Ted

Return to Town Vibe