MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Coal Rollers

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Coal Rollers

Postby rabble » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:03 pm

"Coal Rollers" are diesel trucks modified with chimneys and equipment that can force extra fuel into the engine causing dark black smoke to pour out of the chimney stacks.

Last month, Vocativ noted many coal rollers focus their fumes on "nature nuffies," or people who drive hybrids, and "rice burners," or Japanese-made cars.

"The feeling around here is that everyone who drives a small car is a liberal," a roller named Ryan told Vocativ. "I rolled coal on a Prius once just because they were tailing me."

Weigel spoke to a seller of coal rolling customization equipment who described why some drivers see spewing smoke as a political protest.

"I run into a lot of people that really don’t like Obama at all," the salesperson said. "If he’s into the environment, if he’s into this or that, we’re not. I hear a lot of that. To get a single stack on my truck—that’s my way of giving them the finger. You want clean air and a tiny carbon footprint? Well, screw you."

This is nothing at all like monkeys flinging feces.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Coal Rollers

Postby gargantua » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:21 pm

Some behavior is so incredibly selfish and stupid that I am somewhat at a loss to comment.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:30 pm

I like how Ryan thinks people who drive a small car are liberals, like everyone knows that's something disgusting. You can always tell a deep thinking man.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:49 am

This article says it costs "as little as $500" to modify your truck to roll coal.

It would be cheaper to just fling your own poo but more difficult to do it with the flip of a switch.

The liberals seem a little surprised that conspicuous consumption—waste, even—could be a method of protest. They shouldn’t be. The motivation for political coal rolling is roughly the same one that gets people buying guns and ammo after mass shootings. The expectation, every time, is that liberals will capitalize on the shootings to ban guns, so it’s time to stock up.

The use-it-before-liberals-ban-it instinct is powerful. Since 2007, environmental activists have campaigned for an “Earth hour,” 60 minutes in which people turn off all electricity. Since 2009, the libertarian Competitive Enterprise Institute has responded to this with Human Achievement Hour, a call to spend those same 60 minutes by keeping the lights on.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:27 am

That's nothing, I protest liberal environmentalists by shitting in my swimming pool.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:35 am

pjbogart wrote:That's nothing, I protest liberal environmentalists by shitting in my swimming pool.

It be more appropriate to shit in the public pool, not much of a good conservative are you?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:05 am

pjbogart wrote:That's nothing, I protest liberal environmentalists by shitting in my swimming pool.

If you're going to be that way, I hope it's one of those inflatable wading pools.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:05 pm

Have any of you ever seen a truck do this? If someone did this in California, I'm fairly sure the cops would write them a rather expensive ticket.

The idea that only liberals drive hybrids like the Prius is laughable. Roscoe Bartlett was a GOP representative from rural Kentucky, and was a pretty active member of the Tea Party when he was in office. He also drives a Prius. I'm sure many other examples can be found.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:18 pm

gargantua wrote:

If you're going to be that way, I hope it's one of those inflatable wading pools.

Better yet, a hard plastic kiddie pool that doubles as a sales prop for huge piles of beans at the DCFM.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:26 pm

Galoot wrote:Have any of you ever seen a truck do this? If someone did this in California, I'm fairly sure the cops would write them a rather expensive ticket.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:14 pm

I 've been treated to such a display. Didn't realize it was a movement. Thought it was just another "dickwad in a big Red Dodge Ram" raising the bar of dickwadishness to a new, heretofore unequaled level total dickwadishment. BTW, seven out of ten tailgaters drive big Red Dodge Rams. I seen it with my own eyes and read it on the internet. You could look it up. I just love running my big Black rice burning Nissan Titan at 55 mph right in front of them. I think the smoke is actually coming from out of their ears. Tee Hee Hee...
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:30 pm

I liked it better when they just dangled those rubber bull nuts from the trailer hitch.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm

snoqueen wrote:I liked it better when they just dangled those rubber bull nuts from the trailer hitch.

TMI Sno. TMI.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:32 pm

Poor dirty-dirty coal. Now it's being blamed for other fuel sorcerers' pollution. If you're "coal rollers", roll coal, right? Organic.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:35 pm

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government