MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

baseball have been berry good to me

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

baseball have been berry good to me

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:44 pm

A long, long time ago, I liked baseball. Haven't seen a game in decades.
I can't wait for football to start, need a mindless sports activity.
How does one watch the baseball in 21st century? Are the Brewers on TV regularly? Any fun to watch? Or is it possible to watch a good team?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: baseball have been berry good to me

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:08 am

The best way to get back into baseball is to pick a pitcher to follow. Follow their starts and their stats. Get to know the pitches that they throw really well. Figure out how many pitches they can usually throw per game, and watch the differences in pitch calling when they are having a good game versus a bad game.

Definition of a beautiful thing: Your favorite pitcher, high in the pitch count, is staying later in the the game that he usually does because he's locked in a really good rhythm and throwing like a sonofabitch. At the plate is a dude he usually has terrible luck with and after a ten pitch battle, your guy strikes that motherfucker out. You'll smile. You'll be filled with joy that a guy you have no personal connection with kicked some serious ass, you'll turn to your buddy and say: "holy shit -- he finally got him, eh?"

Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:18 am

The only thing that got me to pay attention to baseball before September was Fantasy baseball. Unfortunately that's a full time job. You can set up projected starters in advance but guys just get days off... A lot more involved than fantasy football. I can easily manage 4 of those teams.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:32 pm

Huh. The responses remind me that baseball is a thinking man's game. Now that could be a problem right there. But I won't give up so easily. The other option is UFC.

I see baseball is mostly on channels I'm not paying for. But Brewer games are on Fox Sports Network. I will watch a full game. Thank you for your support.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:42 pm

This is fucked up. I committed to watching the Brewers-Cardinals series, get to know the players.
First game they blow a 6-run lead. Next game they get smeared. I haven't watched yesterday's game yet, but I'll keep my promise.

When I learned the Brewers are in first place, I thought I had a nice comfortable bandwagon to jump aboard. Is this what being a baseball fan is really like?

My only observation so far is that high def TV is made for baseball, what a difference from my 1980 experience. You can see the spin of the ball. When the batter scratches his nuts, you know which testicle got the attention. Details matter in baseball.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:23 pm

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mifflander » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:15 pm

[quote="Huckleby"]When I learned the Brewers are in first place, I thought I had a nice comfortable bandwagon to jump aboard. Is this what being a baseball fan is really like?
[quote]
No, it's what being a Brewers fan is like. They swapped the annual "June swoon" for "die in July" apparently. Lotta of ball left to play but I don't like how the Brewers and Cardinals are trending right now. Each in the wrong direction.

I've always thought having the Cardinals in the Brewers division is what Vikings fans feel like having the Packers in their division.
mifflander
Forum Addict

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking